Neutral Safety Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Neutral Safety Switch

Need help with wiring locations on the neutral safety switch on my 1965 Wagonaire V8, automatic. Wiring diagrams in shop manual and online seem not to show the correct dipiction.
    A close up photo would help me or a drawing would also.
    Thank you in advance
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Are you asking for the location of the switch or the placement of the color coded wires? The switch is on the column and looks to be about the size of a small match box. The switch is just a switch. Use an ohm meter and see when it shows connection with the column in P and N. What side of the switch those wires go to I would think doesn't matters. The other connectors on the switch are for the back up lights I believe. The same method will figure that out (meaning connectivity in the R position). Using the volt meter can show which is the power for what. The NSS would have power to the wire when the key is turned to start. The back up light likely has full time power in the key on position. Just don't wire the back up light power into the NSS or the car will crank continuously just turning the key on (in P or N)!!! Sorry I can't help any further. When I went to a 700R4 I wired those lines into a console shifter.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

I think the switch has four terminals total. One male and one female bullet connector. Those are self-explanatory. Two male spade connectors. As posted above, it doesn't make any difference with way they connect. Just be sure to follow shop manual for correct installation and adjustment.
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I was looking for a wiring diagram.
        I have an extra wire coming from the harness there. It's a red wire with a female spade connector. Trying to figure where that belongs.

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

Here's a color diagram courtesy of StudebakerParts.com Yes, it's a '64, but color coding is the same as '65. https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...wire-COLOR.pdf
          Whether or not it will help locate the mystery wire.......
          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

The switch has 4 posts. Two are round and 2 are flat/spade posts. The round ones are the neutral/safety. The flat ones are back-up lights. There should be 2 wires in the area with round connectors and, if your car has back-up lights, 2 wires with flat connectors. Connect round to round and flat to flat, doesn't matter which round connector goes on which round post. Same with the flat connectors.
            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
            1950 Champion Convertible
            1950 Champion 4Dr
            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Thank you folks for the input. I finally decided or should I say it finally dawned on me to turn ignition switch to on position and move gear selector. Viola! It started to engine crank in drive and reverse. Figured that in the years that have passed, I had installed the switch upside down. I removed the switch and turned it around and reinstalled it. Wow! It now starts in park and neutral! And low and behold, the reverse lights started to work as well!
              Still haven't figured out what that single red wire coming from the harness by the safety neutral switch is for?
              Blower motor and windshield wipers work as well as the clock. Could be a factory radio feed? Becomes activated with ignition in on position, my radio is wired from ignition switch.
              Thanks to all who helped...this poor dumb a..
              Last edited by 57pack; 03-29-2016, 07:00 AM.

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

Working...
              X