New Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: New Battery

I just purchased a new "Legends" Group 24 battery from NAPA. I also purchased a "Willard" decal from SI, all for my 62 GT Hawk. What is the best way to prep the side of the battery so the decal will stick? Once the decal is on, can I spray the side of the battery with a clear coat to protect the decal. Just trying to look authentic!
    Peter Bishop

For further authenticity, a battery topper would be good. They make it look like a tar top battery, which is what we had in 62.

RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Already have that installed along with the proper hold down. I just can't get the decal to adhere to the battery. Good thing I bought two decals.
      Peter Bishop

Comment

Usually the hardest part is getting the Top and Side Labels and glue off without cutting up the side of the case.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I was able to pull off the NAPA label with no problem.
          Peter Bishop

Comment

Do they make a tar topper and Willard label for the 6 volt battery?

Comment

The only ones I have seen were for 12 volt batteries, but that was a casual search. eBay shows a lot of stuff/accessories available.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Once you strip off the old decals I would clean it off with a 3M adhesive remover and, once you're sure it's clean, wipe again with Prep-sol or Final-clean. New decals should then be next to impossible to remove.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I have had problems with the decals coming off had three different ones last one did not want to come off the backing. Would like to find a stencil ib order to paint directly on the battery. On removing the id from battery I think that would void the warranty. For the top of my battery used some caps attached to self sticking foam rubber
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by acolds View Post
                    I have had problems with the decals coming off had three different ones last one did not want to come off the backing. Would like to find a stencil ib order to paint directly on the battery. On removing the id from battery I think that would void the warranty. For the top of my battery used some caps attached to self sticking foam rubber
                    That's pretty slick Al !! Where did you source the caps from?
                    Paul
                    Winston-Salem, NC
                    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

The caps I used were from Dr Pepper the fine print on them has never been caught by anyone at event I tell anyone that asks to look and read the fine print. If you want a different color or style just shop your local soft drink store buy a six pack and save the caps

Comment

Working...
                      X