6 volt alternator conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 6 volt alternator conversion

Has anyone tried the 6 volt alternator conversion kits found on ebay? They have 6 volt regulators that give you 6 volt negative ground as well as a kit that converts a GM alternator to a 6 volt positive ground. I have ordered the 6 volt regulator for the 50 Champion as I have already switched it to negative ground for other reasons and at $12.00 it's a lot cheaper than a new voltage regulator and I have a GM 10SI not being used. The only thing in the car that is polarity sensitive is the ammeter and ignition coil and that just requires the wires be switched.

The original positive ground regulator is working but the contacts seem to arc more and the ammeter jumps quite a bit more. I suspect it won't last too long. I am wondering has anyone tried to reverse polarity on one of the original regulators and if so how did it work out?
    sigpic
    Barn Find
    1950 Champion
    Before I started
    Jim Berry
    Midlothian, TX

Original voltage regulators and generators are not polarity sensitive. As long as you polarize the generator before starting the car, you should be OK.

The alternator conversions use their own regulators, as you already know.

Not sure I understand your question, so probably not answering it correctly.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Randy Rundle has spent a great deal of time making this a no-brainer.

Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I was just asking if anyone had converted a gm alternator to 6 volts and how it worked out. As I have one collecting dust I thought I'd try it out. Also thinking if it works good I may convert an alternator to 6 volt positive ground for the Land Cruiser, it's regulator is bad anyway. However, I'm trying to keep it as original as possible so I may just to spend the money for a new regulator. All this decision making makes my head hurt. Anyway, thanks.
        sigpic
        Barn Find
        1950 Champion
        Before I started
        Jim Berry
        Midlothian, TX

Comment

I changed my 50 Champion to a Powermaster Alternator, positive ground. I left my old regulator in place to give the OEM look. The powermaster alt. mounts with no mods. It also looks like a generator.

Comment

If you drive your Champ much (nice looking car, by the way!) it might be the moment to 'bite the bullet' and convert to a 12 Volt electrical system.....So much better in so many ways......Convert to 12V and you'll never look back!

Comment

I have considered going to 12 volts but everything works fine, no problems. My only reason for going to negative ground is I have found a source for a 6 volt to 12 volt converter that measures 1" x 2" and puts out 1.5 amps for $5.50 each. I want to use these for a tach and maybe an MP3 player and phone charger. I have installed an input jack on the radio for the MP3 player. I also have a regulator that converts a GM alternator to 6 volts which will solve the problem I am having with voltage regulator.
              sigpic
              Barn Find
              1950 Champion
              Before I started
              Jim Berry
              Midlothian, TX

Comment

I was just asking if anyone had converted a gm alternator to 6 volts and how it worked out.
                Yes, several of my Midway Chapter members have purchased and installed a GM style 6V one wire alternator on their Studebakers (I did, too). They worked better than the stock generator (lights didn't turn yellow when idling at night), and made them more dependable in our opinions. Not a bad investment for $100. All of us purchased our alternators from the same fellow in Arkansas who makes them for Model A guys (where I got the original impetus). I say GO FOR IT!
                The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Converted my 1950 Champion. It was a bit tricky getting the mounting kit sorted out but the conversion works great. Not only do the lights stay bright there seems to be a extra bonus in better charging. I think this is because the alternator is charging all the way to shut down, topping the battery off along the way. It's a good alternative to a 12 volt conversion albeit the latter is probably the best way to go if you want to invest the time and money.

Originally posted by doubledaddy View Post
                  Has anyone tried the 6 volt alternator conversion kits found on ebay? They have 6 volt regulators that give you 6 volt negative ground as well as a kit that converts a GM alternator to a 6 volt positive ground. I have ordered the 6 volt regulator for the 50 Champion as I have already switched it to negative ground for other reasons and at $12.00 it's a lot cheaper than a new voltage regulator and I have a GM 10SI not being used. The only thing in the car that is polarity sensitive is the ammeter and ignition coil and that just requires the wires be switched.

The original positive ground regulator is working but the contacts seem to arc more and the ammeter jumps quite a bit more. I suspect it won't last too long. I am wondering has anyone tried to reverse polarity on one of the original regulators and if so how did it work out?

Comment

I would never consider changing a thing from my original generator and 6 volts positive ground. It's a very good reliable charging system. I run my GPS by simply connecting an insulated lighter socket and connecting the center of the socket to ground. I have a 3 foot twin lead on the socket and just let the socket lay on the carpet. The socket cost about $3 delivered, and they are on ebay.

BTW, your car looks like a twin to mine.

Comment

Thanks,
                      I don't really want to convert to 12 volts, don't see a big advantage as long as everything works. only thing I need 12 volts for is a tachometer and phone charger and as I said earlier I have several 6 volt to 12 volt converters that measure 3/4" by 1 1/2" and will give 1.5 amps. This is enough to operate a tachometer or charge a phone. Problem these converters have a common ground for input and output so anything connected to them would have to be insulated from the car. This is just asking for trouble and it's quite easy to switch to negative ground.

I also have a 6 volt regulator for a GM alternator which I have from a wrecked out chevy van. For $12.00 and a little time fabricating a mount I think converting from a generator to alternator would be an improvement without requiring any modifications to the rest of the car.
                      sigpic
                      Barn Find
                      1950 Champion
                      Before I started
                      Jim Berry
                      Midlothian, TX

Comment

Tech-retro makes 6-12 volt inverters that will change polarity.

RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                        X