Station Wagon roof gutter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: Station Wagon roof gutter.

What is the material that fills in the roof gutter in my wagon? It's sort of like hard putty, but I know it's starting to loosen in places and break out. I expect to address some fender rust holes and the paint, so I need to know what is supposed to go in the rain gutter as well please.

It was Caulking, nowadays we use 3M's Seam Sealer at Auto Pant Stores. This is softer and remains slightly pliable and LASTS.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have seen too many instances when this caulking has started to dry out and crack, then rust starts to form under it... What is the solution? Do we chip, pry, grind, force it out somehow? I tried all the above at some point and was not happy with the results...

Comment

Yes, it's dried up & needs to come out. Figure on painting the entire roof panel now. Remove all the old caulking & before you replace it, paint the gutter with POR 15 or a similar product from Eastwood, then apply the new sealer & paint the roof. Painting the gutter with POR 15 will take care of any rust that may already be present & form a barrier keeping it from rusting again. Of course read all directions carefully.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Clean it out, be sure to use some ETCH primer, then use a paintable seam sealer from 3M. I don't have the number right now, OR step up and buy the 2 part seam sealer. Either way, you WILL need to repait the roof.

Jim
          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
          their Memorials!

Comment

There is a two part seam sealer made just for this use. I know Lord fuzer makes one and I think 3-m also. It is a self leveling seam sealer and is not cheap but does a good job.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
              /Cut/I know Lord fuzer makes one and I think 3-m also. It is a self leveling seam sealer and is not cheap but does a good job.
              Really? LORD FUZER? Lol!
              You have to wonder where some people get their names. Maybe it helps to understand if you are Canadian.
              Don't they have a Lord something Auto Parts?
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thank you. Yes, it's due for a paint job, which was what prompted me to ask about the rain gutter condition. I'll keep this in mind when I'm talking to a painter at the point in time.

Comment

LeoH I spelled the Lord Fuser wrong but went on their web site and they no longer show the self leveling. But 3-m makes one and the number you want is 08307 made for roofs It will flow after you put it on. On van roofs we would raise the front just a little and let it kind of run to the rear then drop it back down just before it had set up. Made for use when you put on a new roof skin. But will work for what you plan to do also. just clean out as much of the old as you can and if rusty sand blast and epoxy coat or as posted earlier use por 15 of which I'am not a fan. Must be painted when done as it has no uv protection built in.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                    LeoH I spelled the Lord Fuser wrong but went on their web site and they no longer show the self leveling. But 3-m makes one and the number you want is 08307 made for roofs It will flow after you put it on. On van roofs we would raise the front just a little and let it kind of run to the rear then drop it back down just before it had set up. Made for use when you put on a new roof skin. But will work for what you plan to do also. just clean out as much of the old as you can and if rusty sand blast and epoxy coat or as posted earlier use por 15 of which I'am not a fan. Must be painted when done as it has no uv protection built in.
                    Thank you for the description.

Comment

Working...
                    X