Help- Driveshaft Slip Joint Seal=UPDATE ANSWER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive Shaft: Help- Driveshaft Slip Joint Seal=UPDATE ANSWER

Anybody got an answer to replacing the cork slip joint seal on a 53 2 piece driveshaft? (What to use?)

Go to last post
    Last edited by Flashback; 02-08-2015, 06:59 AM.

Is there one available from Studebaker International? If you could find a Studebaker part number, give them a call.
    If not, try a fat o ring, maybe able to find one to fit.
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

tex, I posted the same question a few years back, and one of the suggestions was to make one out of hard felt...so I did. Kinda of worked, but not great...better than nothing I guess, but each year when I grease the joint some will come out and get thrown on the driveshaft tunnel...never took the time to find something else, hopefully you`ll find something better. as I recall the dimensions would require a faaaaat by faaaaat o-ring if one was to go that route. maybe a rectangular cross section rubber washer, or make a copy of the cork one?

good luck, junior
      sigpic
      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I am not familiar with the 53 2 piece, but I have used a cut down rear main rope type seal in a situation like this. I used a rope type rear main seal for a 54 Chevrolet 235 since I had one left over after a 1 piece seal conversion. I've also used one spec'd for an old Buick since the local FLAPS had one in stock. A local driveshaft shop gave me this tip over 20 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by alex54 View Post
          I am not familiar with the 53 2 piece, but I have used a cut down rear main rope type seal in a situation like this. I used a rope type rear main seal for a 54 Chevrolet 235 since I had one left over after a 1 piece seal conversion. I've also used one spec'd for an old Buick since the local FLAPS had one in stock. A local driveshaft shop gave me this tip over 20 years ago.
          That sounds like an excellent idea, but would be best to use an OEM rope seal, with asbestos. Modern repros are usually made of kevlar, and don't hold up long in a motor. Still, this may be the best answer yet, even if repro rope is used. Another concern, the original rope material is very hard to slice, even if trying to cut the tip to length, so it may be a PITA to trim one longitudinally, if needed to fit the application.

Comment

If you are talking about a rear transmission seal it is a two component seal leather and felt. SI sells a single component seal without the felt I purchased a NOS original seal from Bo Markam a vendor

Comment

After I couldn't get a answer with a part number, I thought back on another past "habit" and researched some. Came up with a direct fit felt seal for the slip joint. Rear wheel felt seal for a Norton Commando. If you want one , it's easy as ebay. Here's your info:

Comment

good work Tex! I'm thinking my t/o bearing is making noise, so if the trans. needs to be removed I'll get one of these seals installed. cheers, Junior
                sigpic
                1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Working...
                X