ENGINE ID#535601

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ENGINE ID#535601

HI AGAIN IS THERE ANYWHERE I CAN GO TO GET MY ENGINE ID.I KNOW THE ENGINE IS NOT THE ORIGINAL ENGINE FROM THE CAR .THERE MUST BE SOME I CAN TYPE IN THE ID #535601 AND FIND OUT WHAT THE ENGINE CAME OUT OF AND THE YEAR IT IS.MAYBE NOT.
    THANKS AGAIN
    ,,,,,JERRY

Try posting it here and we can help out. Or, simply go to the homepage for this website and look under "Tech Tips, Specs and Data" and select the link for V-8's or 6 cylinders.

Comment

That number is a casting number and will tell you nothing as to year or size.[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bugjuice

HI AGAIN IS THERE ANYWHERE I CAN GO TO GET MY ENGINE ID.I KNOW THE ENGINE IS NOT THE ORIGINAL ENGINE FROM THE CAR .THERE MUST BE SOME I CAN TYPE IN THE ID #535601 AND FIND OUT WHAT THE ENGINE CAME OUT OF AND THE YEAR IT IS.MAYBE NOT.
        THANKS AGAIN
        ,,,,,JERRY
        First question...... Is it a Studebaker engine?

Jerry Forrester
        Douglasville, Georgia
        Be sure to check out my eBay store

for your shiny Stude stuff

More pix of Leo here...http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/d...rrystudebaker/
        Jerry Forrester
        Forrester's Chrome
        Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Jerry, he most likely does have a 1955 thru 1962 partial flow Studebaker V-8 engine block, with that casting number.

But of course he is looking at the raised CASTING numbers on the right side of the block, instead of the STAMPED ones on the left! So that would be why Bob said it will not identify anything about what is inside of that block or what year, without the SERIAL number! [:0]

Folks do not realize for some reason that, anything RAISED on a casting cannot be changed on each unit! It it is part of the mold that formed it and is the same on every one made, until such time, if ever that is is updated and changed and the number changed!

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Jerry, I recognize that number as a casting number on Stude V8 blocks. Thing is, as to YOM or CID, that number doesn't yield any info. He's gonna hafta find the little machined area where the ID number is STAMPED into the metal for us to provide an answer.

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I guess P83063 is the # were lookin for .Thanks again
              Jerry.

Comment

Yes it is! "P" means it's a 289 and the 83063 tells us it's of 1962 vintage.

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

Comment

I have two studebaker V8's with that same number on the front right hand corner of the block.

Comment

Originally posted by miker View Post
                    I have two studebaker V8's with that same number on the front right hand corner of the block.
                    All V8's from that mold are the same, you did not read post #5 and 6.
                    More help Linked here from the Home Page under "Resources": http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/V8EngineID.asp

Scan to the bottom for a Picture of the Serial Number Stamping Location.
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

At the end of production engine #s were actually the day of manufacture so multiple engines will have the same #. I am not sure when this started, may have been the 64 model year. You can find this info on the SDC web site.
                      Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                      50 Champion 2 door*
                      53 Commander K Auto*
                      53 Commander K overdrive*
                      55 President Speedster
                      62 GT 4Speed*
                      63 Avanti R1*
                      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
                        At the end of production engine #s were actually the day of manufacture so multiple engines will have the same #. I am not sure when this started, may have been the 64 model year. You can find this info on the SDC web site.
                        The reason I did not confuse the issue by mentioning that '64's were date coded is that with 535601 Casting Number, an old 6 digit number, prior to later 7 digit there is no way they could be later than 1961 or early 1962.

The '64 Info is referenced though, at the bottom of the Linked V8 Engine Numbering Chart.
                        StudeRich
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

"Folks do not realize for some reason that, anything RAISED on a casting cannot be changed on each unit! It it is part of the mold that formed it and is the same on every one made, until such time, if ever that is is updated and changed and the number changed!"

And I was one of them. Thanks for this info StudeRich.

Comment

Working...
                          X