t-stat outlets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• t-stat outlets

How many different thermostat housings were available for the v-8's?
    I'm working on a 54 c with a '60 289. It currently has a 2 bolt outlet that exits toward 10 oclock if you use the center of the engine as reference at 12 oclock. We're installing a vintage air system and the v-belt for the AC is directly in the way of the upper rad hose as it exits toward the radiator neck.
    Were they're any outlets available with a different degree exit. I know there is a 4 bolt earlier outlet that exits straight up, but I'm not sure that the vintage brackets will work with the 4 outlet water manifold.
    Any info appreciated.
    Russ

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
    57 SH (project)

My choise would be the that straight up one you have! That was used on Sedans, prior to 1961. The only OTHER 4 hole outlet for that water manifold, is the '53-'60 C/K one. It is level and 45 degree, to Left pretty much like the '61-'64 2 hole. I guess you could rotate it to the right, if that helps.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

the current one is not straight up, but flat.Did they make one straight up with the 2 bolt configuration??
      Russ

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

My choise would be the that straight up one you have! That was used on Sedans, prior to 1961. The only OTHER 4 hole outlet for that water manifold, is the '53-'60 C/K one. It is level and 45 degree, to Left pretty much like the '61-'64 2 hole. I guess you could rotate it to the right, if that helps.

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      57 SH (project)

57 SH (project)

Comment

Alternatively you could get one of several Gm variaties from your FLAPS. Some of the custom ones available are even able to rotate the neck to any position.
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

If you use GM, be sure to machine the thermostat "grove" into the housing, as GM did it backwards from Studebaker, they recessed the manifold.

I listed ALL that were ever used, NO other kinds of 2 hole ones were ever needed.

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks, I'll try this route. I'll get the housing machined for the t-stat also. some people have lawyers on retainer........I have a machinist on retainer :-))
            quote:Originally posted by 41 Frank

Alternatively you could get one of several Gm variaties from your FLAPS. Some of the custom ones available are even able to rotate the neck to any position.
            57 SH (project)

57 SH (project)

Comment

I have installed a 289 in my '53 C and used the original two-bolt neck from 1953. If you're standing at the front of the car, the thermostat housing exits to the driver's side at about four o'clock. Unless the '54 flipped the shroud and radiator.

This is the point where I lament the fact I don't have a digital camera and software.

Brad Johnson
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

You have a 1961 through 1964 water manifold, allowing you to use a 2 hole thermostat housing, which is the same one that will not work on Russ's modified car, except he was sitting in the car looking at it backwards to come up with 10:00 ! [:0]

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

I have installed a 289 in my '53 C and used the original two-bolt neck from 1953. If you're standing at the front of the car, the thermostat housing exits to the driver's side at about four o'clock.
                StudeRich
                Studebakers Northwest
                Ferndale, WA
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I ran into exactly the same issue when I installed the Vintage Air system on my Daytona. I machined the thermostat seat into a GM outlet, and that solved the problem.

Jim Bradley
                  '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
                  Jim Bradley
                  Lake Monticello, VA
                  '78 Avanti II
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X