Floor Shift For 700R Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Floor Shift For 700R Conversion

I had originally hooked the 700R up to the OEM, column shift on the wife's GT. Its OK there, but just OK. The basic problem is that the range of motion on the tranny shift lever exceeds the range of motion of the OEM column lever. Today, tried again to dial it in a little better, but to no avail. I thought about setting up a bellcrank, anchored to the frame, 56J style (which worked great on a 56J I once installed a TH400 in), but that is a major project. So have decided to go with an aftermarket floorshift, and am considering this B&M "QuickSilver", unless someone has a better idea. Any comments or suggestions? http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-M-80683-Qu...5dc02f&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by JoeHall; 07-04-2014, 01:48 PM.

A shifter from an Avanti that came with a automatic overdrive will work...it looks almost identical to the original, but the indicator dial attaches different, and the linkages are slightly different. Nostalgic has everything needed.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
      A shifter from an Avanti that came with a automatic overdrive will work...it looks almost identical to the original, but the indicator dial attaches different, and the linkages are slightly different. Nostalgic has everything needed.
      I looked Nostalgic up, but their web site is down. I assume you are talking about a 1980s, Avanti II setup? I would need to get the neutral safety & backup light switches also. Is the Avanti type cable or rod connected?
      Thanks,
      Joe

Comment

Joe

The Avanti II setup is a rod. Price may scare you though by the time you get everything. You are also correct about the neutral safety switch which uses a GM style column setup. I don't think it will be real straight forward to install but a neutral safety switch is possible to add.

I'm not real familiar with the one you are looking at but the B&M Megashifter which I used on my 700R4 54K has a cable setup, an obvious pull-up to change gears and both neutral safety switch and back up light switch. Just compare the two and you won't go wrong.

Bob

Comment

Joe, the U-Pik yards usually have GM floorshifters connected to 700R4s. Last one I bought cost me $15 complete with boot, plate, cable and ready to bolt in.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

1990 Pontiac Formula or Camaro should work fine. Like Jack was talking about.
            My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
            sigpic
            Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
            in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

You might want to look at a Lokar column shift linkage...

http://www.summitracing.com/search/b...t&autoview=SKU

Fully adjustable. I think they can handle the different range of motion between the trans and the shift lever.
              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                You might want to look at a Lokar column shift linkage...

http://www.summitracing.com/search/b...t&autoview=SKU

Fully adjustable. I think they can handle the different range of motion between the trans and the shift lever.
                Dick,
                I already got one of those. Paid for the whole kit, but only used the shift ear for the tranny; used OEM rod with different connector to connect to the tranny shift ear (which is kinda wimpy). Problem is, when bringing the rod closer to center on that ear, it makes the gears so close together on the column shift handle, its hard to select between OD and 3rd; very easy to overshoot to 2nd. Click image for larger version

Name:	700R to Packard V8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	1691203 Stole this idea (the gizmo in upper right hand corner) from Bendtsen's, which is for 55/56 Packard, and real similar to the stock 56J bellcrank setup I mentioned above. Gotta come up with something.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                  Problem is, when bringing the rod closer to center on that ear, it makes the gears so close together on the column shift handle, its hard to select between OD and 3rd; very easy to overshoot to 2nd.
                  Makes sense. I see the problem now.
                  Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

I concur with others regarding the GM - Camaro/Firebird shifter. I put one in my Daytona when I went with a 700R4. I paid right about $15 for it. It has a full range of selection and the positions line up with the console markings. Neutral safety and reverse lights are wired into the shifter.

Shifter components:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	shifter, cable speedo stuff.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	1691210
                    Shifter in car. Brackets made from construction framing strapping:

Name:	shifter in car.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	1691212
                    Shifter with console from mid 80's Cadillac Seville (cut down 2"). Under the ashtray door is a late 70's "Computer" that calculates mileage, shows speed etc..

Name:	downsized_0724121641.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	1691211
                    Last edited by wittsend; 07-05-2014, 02:58 PM.
                    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
                      I concur with others regarding the GM - Camaro/Firebird shifter. I put one in my Daytona when I went with a 700R4. I paid right about $15 for it. It has a full range of selection and the positions line up with the console markings. Neutral safety and reverse lights are wired into the shifter.

I put the exact same thing in my Avanti.......... Very little fabrication to achieve this
                      64 GT Hawk (K7)
                      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by wittsend View Post

Shifter components:
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]36051[/ATTACH]
                        Shifter in car. Brackets made from construction framing strapping:
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]36053[/ATTACH]
                        Shifter with console from mid 80's Cadillac Seville (cut down 2"). Under the ashtray door is a late 70's "Computer" that calculates mileage, shows speed etc..
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]36052[/ATTACH]
                        Wow, that is impressive. I did not realize it would have to be located so far rearward though. Would definitely have to give up the OEM console in the GT.
                        When I told the wife what I was up to, she objected and wants to keep it on the column if possible. So guess I'll install a bell crank. It puts the linkage rod in a straight line, instead of angle toward the shift lever ear on the tranny. It also takes the side load off the tranny shift shaft, and results in a more crisp movement as the column shift handle is moved from gear to gear, at least it did on the 56J with TH400. Out in the garage, I found most of the important 56J components, and can fab the rest. But what a PITA.
                        Last edited by JoeHall; 07-05-2014, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Joe, the GM shifters can be made to fit the GT console if that's the deal breaker.

jack vines
                          PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                            Joe, the GM shifters can be made to fit the GT console if that's the deal breaker.

jack vines
                            Thanks Jack,
                            I may come back to a GM floor shift later, but right now, the wife is the deal breaker I am pretty confident the 56J/GM hybrid bell crank will work out OK though, once done.
                            Thanks Again

Comment

The reason the shifter is located where it is (post #12), is because I positioned it to suite my body. I'm 6 ft., long waisted. It is cable actuated and withing reason can be positioned closer to the firewall.
                              '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Working...
                              X