Brake and Directional Lights no workey on 62 GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Brake and Directional Lights no workey on 62 GT

Just got my third STUDE a 62 V 4 speed. Trying to sort out some MINOR? problems.Here is run down

1 ONLY Tail Lights (single bulb 2 filiment type 1034) & Head lights work (brake & directional DO NOT) does this indicate good wires/grounds?
    2 New Fuses / bulbs
    3 when jumping brake light conectors to mstr cyl with circuit tester indicates power BUT lights dont come on,
    4 dash board turn indicators blink but no lights work ( flasher good?)

My main concern is stop lights then turn signals
    SIZE=6][/SIZE]

HEP ME PLEASE OH MASTERS OF STUDE WISDOM
    THANKS MUCHO jim

You have eliminated some of the possibilities, but not all. New Bulbs and Fuses...GOOD!

Yes the Sockets, Grounds and Tail Light/Parking Light Wires are good if you have Parking and Tail Lights, but not necessarily the wires you are concerned with, the Turn Signal Wires and their Connections.

It does sound like you need a New Stop Light Switch if you jumpered both Wire Terminals at the switch together and got nothing.

You also may need a New Flasher Unit, if the flashing power wire from the flasher to the (in Steering Column) wire disconnect is making contact and the Turn Signal Switch is fully functioning.

Also I note that you did not mention the Parking Lights, if they do not function, wiggle the Headlight switch up and down and in the down Pos. (Pk. Lts.) wiggle some more with the Instruments lights UP on High and you should see the Instr. Lights come on and or the Ammeter go slightly to Discharge telling you something is happening out front.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 08-30-2013, 03:25 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I had this problem and it wound up being only the connector at the bottom of the steering column inside the car. It has gotten kicked around for years and the connection may not be that good. I temporarily (3 or 4 years ago) fixed the problem by using some aluminum foil in the female side of the connector. I need to find a new connector eventually, but...
      I would suggest checking that connector.
      Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

Comment

Does the dome light work? It shares the same fuse as brake lights, located on the two-fuse block where the turn signal flasher is. If there's no dome bulb, check for 12VDC between the two contacts in the base with door open.

Comment

Thanks for replies to my query re Brake & Directional lights.

63 r2 Hawk Have replaced both fuses & dome light works 1st thing I tried too

Mjeansonne Connector "apears to be ok" but will try to verify with tester asap Holiday w/e got in way

Stude Rich as usual you gave a very complete diagnosis list but I need some clarification if possible.
          when i tested brake wires got a "light on"my circuit tester BUT no light up on brake lightbulbs. would not the tester do the same thing a break light SWITCH does? ie complete circuit to turn brake lights ON?

your right about front parking lights they do NOT work-bulbs good tho so would this keep rear directional lights from lighting? I think so.
          When I put the head light switch down ( park light position?) the head lights still come on IS this right? I dont think so.

As I said the holiday W/E & family committments got in the way of fixin this But will be back on it asap.

Thanks again for yall's help!!!! it's exactally why I lurk on this forum. Best Regards JIM

Comment

Brake lights and, of course, turn signals all go through the turn signal switch in the steering column. If that switch is bad it could cause the problem you are having.
            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
            1950 Champion Convertible
            1950 Champion 4Dr
            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I'm putting my money on the turn signal switch. It's the one switch that is common for both the signals and the brake lights, but not the tail lights. Remember, when you are indicating a turn and have your foot on the brake. the brake light ceases to function on the side that's blinking. A failure in that switch could result in loss of turn and brake lights.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
              X