automatic transmission conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: automatic transmission conversion

Hello guys,We are a hotrod /resto shop in sunny Queensland Australia i am hoping someone can advise us on a transmission conversion on a 1953 commander .Vehicle is currently fitted with a 259 motor and 3 speed manual box,is there later automatic 3 or 4 speed that will fit the car without major mods.Any help would be appreciated.
    Cheers Mick
    Ps check out our web site www.oz-rods.com

HI!! If You want to stick with all factory parts, I think Your best bet would be to go with a '56-'64 Studebaker Flightomatic unit. '56 or '57 would be the 'best find' because You could retain Your present two piece driveshaft. A parts car would be nice to find, but I realize Your in OZ so that might not be so easy. Might also be a good time to convert to a 12 volt electrical system....Good luck!

Comment

The common trans used is the 700R4 or the 4L60. Myers Studebaker should sell a complete kit...

myersstudebaker.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, myersstudebaker.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

If the car has been switched over to 12 volts and you'd like to eliminate the TV cable, you could use the 4L60E. GM sells a stand alone controller and wiring harness.
      Last edited by Swifster; 08-28-2013, 05:37 PM.
      Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Originally posted by Swifster View Post
        The common trans used is the 700R4 or the 4L60. Myers Studebaker should sell a complete kit...

http://www.myersstudebaker.com/chevy_adapter_kit.htm
        Swifster...I think He want's to keep it all Studebaker.....but I may be wrong about that!

Comment

I think your process starts with finding out which Clutch Housing you have to deal with.
          It could have retained the old tiny Housing for the smaller Flywheel and 9 1/4 In. Pressure Plate and Disc. from the old '53 232 Engine.

Or it could have been changed to the later '55-'64 Type that will except the 10 1/2 in. Clutch also the later "off square" Trans. Bolt Pattern.

The clutch housing is where you start, to get everything else to mate up to the Engine.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You could also contact Chris Skinner in Coorparoo who operates Studebaker Queensland

Chris is a great help and is supplying most of the parts for my 1962 upgrade.
            John Clements
            Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Chris just emailed me. He called them and hopefully fixed their issues.
              Said he knows both car and owner.
              John Clements
              Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Working...
              X