Re-numbering Speedometer Face

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: Re-numbering Speedometer Face

The face of my '64 Daytona speedometer is virtually impossible to read. The off-white numbers on the brushed, faded, bluish/gray background blend together with limited light, glare, and my ever marginal eyes (close up). It looks (to me) a lot like the fuzzy 40 MPH area in the picture. And frankly it isn't even that good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	downsized_0720131534a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	1740042
    I'm contemplating using model hobby number decals. I'm just wondering if anyone has done likewise and can direct me to the appropriate size (to cover the existing numbers). I'd also like to add in the 10, 30, 50, 70, 90, 110 MPH that are missing. I have no problem using slightly smaller numbers for that. I'm also looking for contrasting color suggestions.

Thanks, Tom
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Ominous odometer reading there

If you're already thinking about tossing the originality out the window, why not have a graphic made on the computer that can be printed onto a white vinyl decal material. Apply the decal over the original face, and you've at least got something that looks like it was purpose built. That said, your idea may work too, but without changing the background of the dial, you'll struggle to get too much more pop, I think. But I've never tried, so take that with a grain of salt.
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

There are plenty of repair shops that can repair the face. Maybe even in your area.. A quick look into the WWW showed up many places.

If they are like watch repair companies, you may even be able to design yourself a custom face.

Mike

Comment

My Photoshop skilled nephew makes new gage faces for the 240Z-280Z crowd. I'm waiting to hear back from him. I might also consider adapting the face from another speedometer. Sadly I have two speedometer/gage clusters from a Mazda Protege in a failed attempt to put a tach in my daily driver. But they have 140 MPH "clocking" over the 270 degree sweep. Oh well.

Tom
        '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]26063[/ATTACH]
          This face is too faded out, I would just get another used Speedo in better shape, that is why the White is weak.
          The Silver Green color is almost completely gone leaving the Gray color that some think is original...NOT!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

N.O.S. ones for 64 Larks are still out there if you are so inclined. I have a whole case of them.
            Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
            1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
            1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

6666.6 Satan's own speedometer?

I'd buy one of Franks 0000.0 speedos quick!

Comment

Working...
              X