R/E-10,11, 12 Timken J-3299 pinion puller - buy or borrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: R/E-10,11, 12 Timken J-3299 pinion puller - buy or borrow

jack vines I'm trying to get the pinion out of a 3/4t Timken axle. The Shop Manual shows:

Puller Plate J-3299-1
    Puller Legs J-3299-3
    Puller Screw J-3299-2
    Thrust bearing
    Nut

Does anyone have one not being used? If the price is right, I'd buy it. If you'd prefer to loan it, I'd pay shipping both ways.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Jack,

I'm pretty sure I've got one that I made when I was replacing the ring and pinion in my Timken axle. I made it from a 1/2" thick aluminum plate and 3/8 SAE all thread rods. I'll check on it and let you know. It will be the weekend before I can look for it.

Gary Benham

Comment

I was the one with the old ALICE pack at the IM taking the waterpump manifold, engine, trans mounts, and that Frantz oil filter assembly off of that engine the guy was also selling with that axle. To that end, I have to reply......Still??
      1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

The parts only arrived in Spokane this afternoon. I was able to remove the U-joint flange with a Pitman arm puller. I can make the pinion puller if need be, but that's a tool one only used once or twice in a Stude lifetime. Thus, I thought there might be one sitting dusty on a shelf somewhere.

BTW, the pinion is a 7/8"-20 thread. What else on Stude cars/trucks uses that same thread? If I have to make the puller, I'll need a couple of nuts to weld together.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Darn, I thought I had it, Axle Nuts are: 7/8" X 14 TPI, no dice.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Jack,

I found the puller I made. I'm in Marysville, WA and can mail it to you. I no longer have the 3 pieces of 3/8" all thread that I used with it. Not sure why you'd need to weld nuts together. This plate slips over the pinion shaft where u-joint flange was then retain it with the 7/8" x 20 nut. The 3 lengths of 3/8" fine thread all thread, each needs to be about a foot long, go through holes in the puller plate and screw into 3 of the threaded holes that the bearing cover was bolted down into. Using nuts and flat washers on the all thread rod you can then back out the nuts against the plate and that will pull the pinion assembly out. I'm not sure what the factory manual special tool was configured like but this pulled the pinion out without damage.

Gary

Comment

Many thanks for the offer, Gary. I've PM'd you my mailing address.

As you did, I knew I could reverse-engineer a puller, but it would be interesting to see exactly how the factory tool was made.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

Thanks to Studegary and unclemiltie, puller plates and three legs are on the way.

I know I can reverse-engineer a puller screw, nut and thrust washer, but it would save time to see exactly how the factory tool was made and how long was the screw.

I'll buy yours or pay shipping both ways for a look.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

The only place I have found this tool set shown is the 3R Shop Manual. It shows the setups for removal and replace.
                  Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Yes, I've got the 3R Shop Manual. That's where I got the part numbers.

There are always a lot of ways to get the pinion out and back in. However, I'm trying to put together the ring and pinion as well as the puller/installer for a member in Germany. If I'm sending it that far, as close to the factory tool as possible is what I'd like to achieve.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                    X