No announcement yet.

Hydro-Vac Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Booster Dewey does a great job on Master Vacs but does not work on Hydro Vacs.
    Right. I phoned him about 2 months ago and got the same message, along with some recommendations for 3 other places.

I ended up going with Rebuilders Enterprises in Bridgeview, IL. It took about two weeks for the rebuild. Haven't had a chance to re-assemble the system yet. They returned everything, including a small bag with the banjo bolts and other miscellaneous small parts and the old hoses, and included the refinishing of the two brackets at no extra charge. They use a neoprene diaphragm, doing away with the need for the annual Neet's Foot oiling. The total with return shipping was about $240. Others here have given good reports on their work.

Paul
    I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
    1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

Comment

including a small bag with the banjo bolts
      I've tried to figure some things out from the Shop Manuel and Chassis catalog illustrations, but I must have missed it. And I forgot to take pictures of the Hydrovac before I sent it off. But it wasn't connected anyway.

Does anyone have a good clear picture showing where the hoses hook onto the booster? And just WHERE do those banjo bolts go? Oh, and the copper crush washers I keep reading about, (I ordered some from SI along with the new hoses) where do those go?

Thanks

Paul

Comment

Don't know if this shows what you want....
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
          Don't know if this shows what you want....
          Nope, A disc brake booster like this may put Him through the windshield!!

Comment

The crush washers are used to seal the banjo bolts and related fittings. Those fittings are where the brake hoses attach to the hydrovac.
            The picture doesn't show all of the hydrovac but does show the banjo fittings and flexible lines which were on my speedster.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 5brown1 View Post
              The crush washers are used to seal the banjo bolts and related fittings. Those fittings are where the brake hoses attach to the hydrovac.
              The picture doesn't show all of the hydrovac but does show the banjo fittings and flexible lines which were on my speedster.
              I see 'SUN VALLEY YELLOW'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

First, sorry for hijacking the thread for my own questions, but it fit the topic well.

Thanks for all the replies to my questions. 5brown1 your picture is perfect. I can tell the line routing from the flex hoses pretty well based on the directions they go. Once I opened up the parts bag and got a good close look at the banjo bolts and brass fittings Rebuilders Ent. sent back, along with your picture and description, it all made good sense. It turns out they even sent me 4 new copper crush washers.

Paul

Comment

I'd be replacing those hoses! They do not look very good! I would also maybe make them a few inches longer, so that the "bend" in them would be less. (which I can do)

Jim
                  "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                  their Memorials!

Comment

"I'd be replacing those hoses! They do not look very good!"

Those hoses are long gone as is that hydrovac and replaced with new. The pictures were taken while taking the car apart.

SN-60 you do see Sun Valley Yellow
                    The colors have changed a bit - Subaru Yellow Green Metallic and Subaru Electric Yellow. I'm just waiting (and waiting) for my bodyman to do the final buffing and then I'll post a picture or two.
                    Last edited by 5brown1; 06-11-2013, 05:25 PM.

Comment

To: 5brown1,----Subaru colors eh? That's interesting. What year Subaru? I'd like to eyeball the color chips. It's always good to learn about 'close matches' of factory Stude colors!

Comment

The Yellow Green Metallic is a 1999 color. Code is 812. The Electric Yellow is a 1991 color. code 040.
                        I'm including pictures taken a while back but they just don't do it justice. The green just doesn't look the same in pictures. Most people comment that they like the green color.
                        The tape pieces are to let my bodyman know where he need to do some touchup.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by 5brown1; 06-12-2013, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 5brown1 View Post
                          The Yellow Green Metallic is a 1999 color. Code is 812. The Electric Yellow is a 1991 color. code 040.
                          I'm including pictures taken a while back but they just don't do it justice. The green just doesn't look the same in pictures. Most people comment that they like the green color.
                          The tape pieces are to let my bodyman know where he need to do some touchup.
                          WOW!...I never would have guessed Subaru offered colors so close to the original Studebaker Hialeah Green/Sun Valley Yellow....Good information.....And Your Speedster looks great!

Comment

Subaru also has their version of Hill Holder on their manual shift cars! They also have a factory in Indiana!
                            Dan White
                            64 R1 GT
                            64 R2 GT
                            58 C Cab
                            57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I have rebuilt hydo-vacs. The problem is not in the rebuilding, they are very easy to rebuild. It is in the corrosion rendering them un rebuildable. Not only in the output slave cylinder, but valve and seal areas. New is the way to go.
                              Bez Auto Alchemy
                              573-318-8948
                              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Rebuilders Enterprises. Dat's who did mine. Soetimes rebuilt and remanufactured are used mistakenly for one another. Rebuilt is a unit that is totally taken apart and what components do not pass inspection at the time are replaced and thusly reassembled into a functioning unit". "Remanufactured is so that every moving part subject to wear/deterioration are reconditioned/replaced and all parts assembled into a new/sometimes better unit because of upgrade. No less than OEM specs. at least in our perfect world. cheers jimmijim

'

' into a functioning unit. "
                                Originally posted by 3rdGenStude View Post
                                First, sorry for hijacking the thread for my own questions, but it fit the topic well.

Thanks for all the replies to my questions. 5brown1 your picture is perfect. I can tell the line routing from the flex hoses pretty well based on the directions they go. Once I opened up the parts bag and got a good close look at the banjo bolts and brass fittings Rebuilders Ent. sent back, along with your picture and description, it all made good sense. It turns out they even sent me 4 new copper crush washers.

Paul
                                sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
                                X