Need help on installing a AFB Carb on my 63 GT Hawk 289

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Need help on installing a AFB Carb on my 63 GT Hawk 289

So here is the deal, my 63 came to me without a carb, just a four barrel manifold with equal size barrels, a stack of metal shims and a gasket on top...oh yeah, a couple of socks stuffed in the barrels to keep the mice out.

I bought a used AFB from my friend Gary in Oregon. I understand...(I think) that this carb will work on my engine with some adaptions and modifications even though the secondaries are larger than the primaries. Can some of you wizards lend an appretice some advice?

What adapter/spacer do I need, what gasket? What about those shims? Will I have a problem with air cleaner/hood cleaarance? What aftermarket air cleaner will work?

I know some of you fellas have been there and done that so how about a walk through please?
    Thanks
    Jim

Jim - email sent...

Comment

Jim -

Depending on your manifold, you may need an adapter/spacer, you may not.
      If the carb. fits, check all linkage for clearance and hook everything up.

But most likely, you'll require an an adapter/spacer to fit the AFB. First thing to do is find out the CFM rating of this carburetor. If it's over 500cfm, or especially if it's over 600cfm, wait till you can get a proper sized carb.
      A 500cfm carburetor is a good size for the Stude V-8.
      You'll also neeed the adapter. Speedway, Summit, Jegs, will all have the adapter you need. It's easy to spot, it'll have two holes at each corner and four more holes in a smaller pattern...this is the adapter you'll need.
      After that, install the spacer and bolt on the carb. In some instances, you may have linkage interference between the linkage and the manifold. Bolt it all together, make sure there is full motion of the throttle, connect everying else, add an air cleaner and drive it.

Mike

Comment

The answer to your problem is in this thread....

Comment

Change over , I'm doing the same thing.

How about that I'm working on the same problem, not only are the throttle plates to big on the AFB but they don't line up with the ports. My engine did come woith a Carb it's a Carter small port WCFB popular in its day but getting hard to find now.
          Mr. Gasket makes a spacer plate special to fit a AFB on a small port manifold most parts store's either well have one or can order one for you. Anyway thats my game plan $19.95 for the plate or $40.00 for a carb kit for my WCFB that I'm not sure has all the parts in it.

Comment

Fitting an AFB or an Edelbrock onto the older , small secondary bores will restrict the air flow into the engine. I fab and sell the converted 2BBL to 4BBL manifold. Either the AFB or Edelbrock will bolt on directly and the throats in the manifold are bigger than the bores in the carbs, so you'll have no air restrictions whatsoever.

Try www.studebakersonly.com for a look see.

Thanks \
            Ken Michael

Comment

Well thanks guys! With help from my friend at StudebakersofOregon here is what I found: Baxter's auto parts in Vancouver has a spacer plate from a company called Trans-Dapt performance Products. The part # is 2064. It is a 1/2" tall aluminum plate designed to mount a "Large 4BBL To small 4BBL Manifold". It comes with new longer studes and two gaskets and four nuts and bolts and washers. I am not sure what the bolts and nuts are for yet. All told with tax it came to about 28 bucks. The way the plate is ported makes it a clean fit. Jim

Comment

Jim, That's the way to go if you're not going with an AFB style manifold. Next step... switch to cable operated throttle. Lose all the mess with that mechanical linkage.
                sals54

Comment

It sounds like you already have all you need with the gaskets and plates. Should be 4 or 5 gaskets and 3 or 4 plates.

I use this between the AFB and the early Stude intake. I don't race my car so I don't worry about losing 4 horse power due to the mismatched ports.
                  Attached Files
                  Jerry Forrester
                  Forrester's Chrome
                  Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Maybe think of this!

Original 3506S AFBs are difficult to find. So Like my other post, I made my own.

Search for a good 3720 or 3721 AFB from a 65 Vette. They are 650 CFM. However they need to be modified to have the vacuum advance off the primary and the primary throttle shaft needs to be fixed.

Here is the result!
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2949.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	1679800

The primary throttle shaft was from a Pontiac AFB and I made the rivet and extension the rivet holds in place.

Name:	DSCF2950.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	1679801

All parts were zinc plated and bronze busing installed for a snug primary shaft.

Name:	DSCF3056.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	1679802

Looks like it belongs there! Note the Phenolic space for added insulation from heat transfer.
                    I cant post the Pic with it running, but Dyno has some great accelerate/Torque numbers for normally aspirated engine.
                    Last edited by SScopelli; 04-17-2013, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X