Power Steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Power Steering

It's my understanding that power steering was first available in Studes in 1953. It's also my understanding that that offereing was for the mechanical unit only and I assume for V/8 cars only (without knowing). Can someone shed some light on when the hydraulic units became available. Not knowing I'd guess '55 as A/C, P/W & P/Seats were first offered that year. Thanks a lot, Dan

To: CarcrosswordDan,------If someone came up with a never released (I don't believe) mechanical unit...it would be one of those 'Holy Grail' type finds. Like a '51 Commander Business coupe.

Comment

SN-60, it would be interesting to know if any member had ever seen one. Even if they were never relesed, when did the hydraulic unit surface? thanks,
      Dan

Comment

Originally posted by CarCrosswordDan View Post
        It's my understanding that power steering was first available in Studes in 1953.<<< Dan
        Saginaw (power) Steering Gear components is dated 10-4-52. Of course that does not directly correlate to a date when Studebaker first started installing them on the assembly line, just means they were messing around with S.S.G.

Comment

Welcome, so good to get your reply. Just trying to tie the actual dates down. At this point, I'd still bet '55. Thanks, Dan

Comment

For what it is worth, power steering parts listings in the 51-54 Chassis Parts Manual start with 14G and 4H models, so 1953 models.
            Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
            1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
            1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

The mechanical units came very close to entering production. So close that repair information went into the 1953 manual. Studebaker had to publish a supplemental manual for the Saginaw. Many car magazines of the era had articles about Studebaker's new mechanical power steering, so it would seem logical that some of these units must have been installed on sold vehicles. In fact, they probably were NOT. We used to hear estimates from 150 down to about three. Some of these may have been installed on production vehicles that were retro-fitted with the Saginaw before the car left the factory.
              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I believe that some mechanical power steering units were installed in some 1953 models. It is my understanding that they were all recalled and removed. I have seen in print; "Less than 100 units were sold...".
                The hydraulic power steering units were introduced in the mid-1953 model year.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yes, mid '53 and also available on the 6 as well as V8. I have seen a later model year '53 Champion coupe with the saginaw PS (that also had automatic drive tranny too!).

Jeff in ND

Comment

My son-in-law has a 53 Studillac with hydraulic power steering. appears to be a Studebaker pump. Not Caddy.
                    Neil Thornton

Comment

To Jeff H,----- A '53 Champ '6' with power steering coupled to an automatic transmission.......Not exactly a 'High Performer' I would guess!!!

Comment

Dwain, greart response, thanks a lot. It only makes sense that Stude would have a more proven backup plan. However, I think there were other carmakers that had successful mecanical power steering units at the time. Believe one was Rolls Royce. Thanks again, Dan

Comment

SN-60, thanks a lot. Wasn't sure about the 6 cylinder offering. Thanks again, Dan

Comment

studegary, thanks a lot, dan

Comment

Working...
                            X