Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best overdrive transmission for lark with 259 v8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brian6373 View Post
    I'm still learning knew things about Studebakers all the time. About 35 years ago the auto trans class I was in was more focused on ford c-4's and c-6's. The mopar torqueflights and the powerglides and turbos. As I recall there was only a brief mention of the Borge-Warner trans and that was the Ford FMX optional trans. Up to 4 years ago I knew very little about Studebakers. I read this forum to learn about the car I own, and very rarely give some advice from my own first hand knowlege. This forum is the best thing that could happen for us deciples to learn from the masters. Thanks to all for the help you give.

Brian
    SO True Brian! I was telling someone the other day about this forum and how helpful and knowledgeable and *friendly* everyone is.... his resoponse: he said, "that's not possible, you must not really be on the Internet" hee hee hee hee! I've never come across a forum this great and I can't tell you how much I appreciate everyone's willingness to share and help us new folks learn from you all.

Thank you!!!

Michelle
    '60 Lark Hardtop, Red Bluff, CA
    sigpic

Comment

I agree this is the best and the poeple on here are the best. I hope that I can give back as much as was given so freely.

Comment

There is also a converter rebuilder in Springfield Oregon and Productive covverter in Long Beach Ca.Sounds like you will be back on the road soon.Cool.

Comment

So.... What's the story? Did you find the parts you need? Did the trans shop get the trans good to go? Will you be cruising on IDYSD? inquiring minds want to know!

Comment

Originally posted by brian6373 View Post
            So.... What's the story? Did you find the parts you need? Did the trans shop get the trans good to go? Will you be cruising on IDYSD? inquiring minds want to know!
            Hee hee hee! Thanks Brian! The trans shop said the trans is fine (WOO HOO)... torque converter needs to be rebuilt and ring gear / flex plate need to be replaced. The ring gear should be there any day now and they have been working on the Torque converter since last week. It's looking promising for IDSYD I am fighting the urge to call them and get an update as I'm sooooooo nuts to get my car back on the road. I know they're working on it though and will call me when it's ready. I'm really glad they said the trans is fine. With all the stuff you guys have said about those made to last pieces of machinery, we should be good to go with it for a long time as long as we take proper care of it.

Thanks!
            Michelle
            sigpic

Comment

Hello all! An update on the weird growling noise issue in our Lark... we got the torque converter rebuilt complete with brand new flex plate and ring gear, put the whole works back together and still had the noise and vibration in the engine. DARN! Jim pulled the engine today and found the crankshaft broken clean in two. I wonder how normal it is for a car of this age to have issues like that? Is it fairly common for these to just give up one day and break?

The break was right under the rod bearings, which kept it all together and driving. He said he can't believe it was even running. Soooo.... no "IDYSD" for us this year - DOUBLE DARN! The good news is we know what it is now and can fix it. Thanks again for all of your advice, it's been super helpful!

Hope this info helps for anyone else out there troubleshooting weird noises in their cars

Michelle
              sigpic

Comment

The crankshaft/bearings are very strong on a Stude V-8 a break is rare, but it can happen, usually caused by something being out of balance (broken flexplate, vibration damper problem etc). Being that it's a 259 these crankshafts are still available NOS and they aren't very expensive. Best of luck to you.

Joe
                sigpic

1962 Daytona
                1964 Cruiser
                And a few others

Comment

Michelle, go talk to Dick Grove in Cottonwood he is a good Studebaker man and might have things you need. 530-527-4583
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

Working...
                  X