chop -top wagonaire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chop -top wagonaire?

I have a '63 Wagonaire I bought for parts. Now I keep looking at it and thinking "boy, that would be cool with a 3 or 4 inch top chop". Does anybody of a good book which covers this in depth?

There are a lot of books covering this topic. A Goggle search should turn up more than you need. It would be a ton of work and if you chop it 4" it might look"cool" to some people, but actually driving it would not be so fun.

1952 Champion Starlight since October,1971. 1962 Daytona
    since May, 2007.Searcy,Arkansas
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

I have a gutted '63 here you can have to make a "practice" cut on![] Free for the taking![:0]

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The big expense in this would be the glass. You'd need to check with your local DMV to see if plexy would be allowed or if you'd need custom tempered glass. The other issue is that while the top slider wouldn't really be effected, the vents assemblies on both sides would be a pain in the wallet. And remember, the tailgate only opens with the glass down, so the angle of the rear glass needs to remain similar.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Is there something WRONG with the way it looks now? [:0]

Wagonaires look perfectly proportioned to me! [^]

At least they do not have doors that are too tall like an M Series Truck, or windows that are too low like a new Chrysler 300, roof too tall like a Model "T" Ford or something gross like that![xx(]

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

wagonairedriver...don't let the "why" guys talk you out of it.

I've helped chop a top many years ago. On one hand, it is a lot of work...on the other...you'd have a custom that [u]you</u> built! And that has a fair amount of cool factor...no matter what anyone says.

As one of the others sorta said...don't go too far or looking up may be a problem.

As for the glass. FIRST...find a glass shop that can cut your glass. It's a dieing art to be able to cut windshield glass and even more so on the tempered side glass...it has to be ground.

ON THE OTHER HAND...I heard tell where (on a 60 Thunderbird) rather than have any glass actually cut...the glass was "channeled" down into the body so the owner didn't have to mess with trying to cut it. A bit more metal work but MUCH less worry about breaking glass.

Go for it...go slow and have fun.

Mike

Comment

The glass is not a big issue. Except for the windshield it is all flat glass. Grinding down tempered is a ridiculous notion. Most likely it will overheat and explode. Flat LAMINATED glass is what to use. Yes, you will need to find an older established glass shop to do it. The windshield is a little more of an issue. But there are plenty of people out there doing custom work. Ask around.

KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)
              KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Posting myself as a "why" guy......
                Hey if a guy can chop a school bus top on Monster Nation, that spinoff of Monster Garage, and thrill the kids as they got off the full size school bus.....
                Why not??

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
                [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
                [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
                [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
                [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

I think a chopped-top Wagonaire would be pretty cool! [:0][8D]

I don't know how many times I've looked at our '64 and thought about how good it would look with the roof a little lower. A R2 with T10 would be pretty nice too, I think.

I say go for it and keep us posted on how it goes.

Matthew Burnette
                  '59 Scotsman
                  '63 Daytona
                  Hazlehurst, GA

Cruising the Proving Ground Test Track

Comment

quote: I don't know how many times I've looked at our '64 and thought about how good it would look with the roof a little lower.
                    I bet that your sister would love that, it would be harder for anyone to see her riding in it.

Comment

Matt,

Can't you "photo-shop" it and get an idea of how it might look?
                      Just a thought. See you in August....so far the turn out looks great. Make sure to bring your truck. I'm gona' try to get the hot rod up there if I can do it without gettin' any tickets. Remember this.... If it ain't leakin', it must be empty.

Dan Miller
                      Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
                      Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

You're right Gary! But I think she'll still hide in the floorboards.

Dan, I'm not sure if I'll make it up to the meet or not. School starts that Friday (don't ask me why) and for me to leave after school, that's a long ways to go that late in the day. If I do go, I won't be taking the truck. My grandad said something about trailering the '51 Starlight up there, but that's not set in stone yet. Who knows though... I'd love to see the Challenger though!

Also, funny you should mention that! Right after my last post, I got busy on photoshop! [8D]

Stock Wagonaire; just an old station wagon. [)]

Slightly altered Wagonaire; one cool grocery-getter! (I couldn't help but lower it a bit too. )

Matthew Burnette
                        '59 Scotsman
                        '63 Daytona
                        Hazlehurst, GA

Cruising the Proving Ground Test Track

Comment

Matt,
                          That actually looks kinda' cool. I hate to hear that, but I know the feelin', I start back the Monday after the meet, drivin' the "looser-cruiser". Gota' have insurance some how, but the pay sure don't cut it, especially considering what you're responsible for.[:0] Oh well, it's my choice ain't it. Later.

Dan (cheese-box) Miller
                          Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
                          Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Matt .. it needs Dubs!!!

Tom

quote:Originally posted by mbstude
                            Slightly altered Wagonaire; one cool grocery-getter! (I couldn't help but lower it a bit too. )
                            '63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Looks like a cool idea! I suppose that a small rake{ala dodge wagon} would be way to much work unless you could make it a two dr.sedan delivery. And then you wouldn't be able to see all the SMILES of people checkin'out your ride.LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X