New Replacement Wheels for Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: New Replacement Wheels for Hawk

I hate to start a new thread, but didn't get an answer under another title, so here we go...

I need new tires on the 62 Hawk, I have the original 4 1/2 rims. None of the local wrecking yards seem to have Crown Victoria or Marquis wheels on their cars. The U Pullit has one car with some on it, but 3 have no tires, so I really don't know if those are the original rims or not. It does have one rim with a tire on it, but don't know about the other 3. I want to use the steel wheels so I can use my hubcaps, but I'm not having a lot of luck. I have called around everywhere I can think of to find new wheels, but again... no luck!!

Can anyone tell me where I may can order some new steel wheels for my car... that is reasonable?

Thanks again!!
    Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

I was looking for the same wheels in salvage yards in my area don't seem to have the wheels either. Their explanation was that they were too old and what ones they get are sold to use on trailers. So I went to the local tractor Supply and looked in their trailer section and they had some wheels. The were 15" 5 bolt 6" wide with a 4 1/2 bolt circle. The price (I think) was $45 each. I haven't checked the back spacing or the center hole to see if they really would work. They have a trailer spoke pattern (hubcaps would cover them) and look alittle thicker in the lug nut area than a car wheel. Also I'm not sure if they are good for car use? It maybe something to look at and get the questions answered.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by mjeansonne View Post
      The U Pullit has one car with some on it, but 3 have no tires, so I really don't know if those are the original rims or not. It does have one rim with a tire on it, but don't know about the other 3.
      I'm trying to figure out why tires on the wheels would help you figure out if they are original or not, and what difference it would make if they are the size you need.

I know some disagree, but I have run 205 75 15's on 4 1/2" Studebaker wheels on several cars with absolutely no problem. You need to make sure the wheels are not cracked anywhere (strip all the paint off all surfaces and inspect closely), and make sure the lug holes haven't been "worked" by loose lugs or the wrong size lug bolts (Studebaker lug bolts ONLY!).
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I'm spoiled living here in Arizona. Those ca. 1983-91 big Fords and Mercurys are still in our Pick 'A' Part places. I have a set for my 1962 Lark though I presently still have the OEM 5 x 4.5 inchers on the car.
        --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

sigpic
          '89 Ford Festiva
          '90 Ford F250 4x4
          '18 Kia Soul
          '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
          '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

<snip>
            Can anyone tell me where I may can order some new steel wheels for my car... that is reasonable?
            Thanks again!!
            Since you asked.....(Depending on your definition of 'reasonable)
            Wheel Vintiques will build you anything you want in a steel wheel.
            You can also get them with tires, all mounted and balanced, from Coker tire.

http://www.wheelvintiques.com/

http://www.cokertire.com/

As a side note....
            I have a set of steel Wheel Vintiques wheels on the Yellow POS and they will pass the ten year mark this month.
            Only thing I ever did with them over ten years was to clean them, and replace one set of tires.
            HTIH
            Jeff
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Don't forget Ford Ranger wheels. If you are running full wheel covers, you can even use some of the ones with holes or slots. I had Ranger wheels on my Daytona.

Last edited by 52-fan; 05-27-2012, 03:25 PM.
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. I have decided to go ahead with 205 75 R 15 on the old 4 1/2 inch rims until I can find the newer rims. I'm expanding my search to larger cities. Perhaps they have the new rims I'm looking for.
                Dick, perhaps I didn't explain the reason behind having tires mounted on the rims... at the U-Pullit, I have noticed several cars have mixed sized rims on them including 14" that should have 15". So its a little easier in the Louisiana heat to know that you are fooling with a 15" rim and not a 14" rim, plus the added benefit of being able to more accurately check the clearances on the Studebaker with a set of old tires mounted on the rim. Yes even on a mild May Saturday morning the temps are at 90 degrees and above with near 100% humidity I didn't have a dry thread on me this morning. When I was at the International Meets in Oregon and Washington I was amazed at how cool it was in the middle of Summer... when are you folks goiing to host another meet? Really enjoyed them!! That's why you won't see an International Meet in New Orleans. No one could stand the heat and the humidity even if the Meet were in the dead of Winter!!

Comment

jd-stude,

Be very careful in considering trailer wheels. They are NOT required to meet Federal DOT specifications, as are passenger car and truck wheels. IMHO, that's probably why they are so much cheaper than passenger car wheels. Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
                  Auburn, GA

Comment

Dick, perhaps I didn't explain the reason behind having tires mounted on the rims... at the U-Pullit, I have noticed several cars have mixed sized rims on them including 14" that should have 15". So its a little easier in the Louisiana heat to know that you are fooling with a 15" rim and not a 14" rim, plus the added benefit of being able to more accurately check the clearances on the Studebaker with a set of old tires mounted on the rim.
                    Yep...that makes sense. It would be best if the tires on the rims were the size you will use on your Stude. Different width and height tires can make a big difference in fit.

Yes even on a mild May Saturday morning the temps are at 90 degrees and above with near 100% humidity I didn't have a dry thread on me this morning. When I was at the International Meets in Oregon and Washington I was amazed at how cool it was in the middle of Summer... when are you folks goiing to host another meet? Really enjoyed them!! That's why you won't see an International Meet in New Orleans. No one could stand the heat and the humidity even if the Meet were in the dead of Winter!!
                    I grew up in Central Wisconsin and have lived in Georgia, Western Kentucky, and Northern Kentucky (among others). All pretty "sticky". I didn't mind it then, but after having lived in California and Washington the past 30 years I don't know if I could get used to it again.

Western Washington has very low humidity year round compared to those places. We do get rain (30-35" a year), but not as much as Atlanta (49"), Boston (43"), Cincinnati (42"), New Orleans (62"), etc. Summers are 70's-80'sF. Winters 35-50F. We do get an occasional snow in the winter but it's gone in a few days.
                    Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I grew up in Central Wisconsin and have lived in Georgia, Western Kentucky, and Northern Kentucky (among others). All pretty "sticky". I didn't mind it then, but after having lived in California and Washington the past 30 years I don't know if I could get used to it again.

Western Washington has very low humidity year round compared to those places. We do get rain (30-35" a year), but not as much as Atlanta (49"), Boston (43"), Cincinnati (42"), New Orleans (62"), etc. Summers are 70's-80'sF. Winters 35-50F. We do get an occasional snow in the winter but it's gone in a few days.[/QUOTE]

Dick, please, we don't want the outsiders to know the truth about our weather!
                      Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                      50 Champion 2 door*
                      53 Commander K Auto*
                      53 Commander K overdrive*
                      55 President Speedster
                      62 GT 4Speed*
                      63 Avanti R1*
                      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post

Dick, please, we don't want the outsiders to know the truth about our weather!
                        Sorry, Don

Actually, it rains ALL the time, and since Bellingham is only 15 miles from Canada, it is butt cold year round.
                        Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Mike,
                          I just got my new Turning Wheels today, and saw an ad that may interest you. Dave T-Bow is selling new 15 x 6 Ford rims for about $80.00 each raw steel, $40.00 more for powder coat. Not bad price for new wheels, no worries about cracks or straightness.
                          Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Haven't got my Turning Wheels yet, but figured it had to be only a matter of time before someone had new wheels. But guess I will go ahead with my plan and get the 205's installed on my old rims until I get around to getting new ones from Dave Thibeaux.

Spelling Thibeaux correctly makes more since to me, being from Louisiana, like a rainbeaux, a heauxbeaux, and of course... Geaux Tigers!!!

Comment

Dick,
                              I was up in your area when I picked up the Champ I bought from James and Stephanie. The truth is it's "OMG" beutiful there!

Comment

Working...
                              X