PAINT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAINT

I OWN A 1960 LARK. THE BODY IS BEIGE AND I AM GOING TO PAINT THE NEW WHEELS. THE ORIGINAL ONES ARE SEVERAL SHADES DARKEN THAN THE BODY. IS THIS CORRECT? WHERE CAN I PURCHASE A COLOR CHIP FOR THE BODY COLOR. ALSO, I AM SEARCHING FOR A LARK DEALERSHIP BANNER THAT IS GOLD WITH BLACK LETTERS. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A BOOK THAT INDICATES ALL THE STUDEBAKER DEALERS WITH THE ADDRESSES? THANK YOU.

Ray,

If, in fact, the wheels were an off-white, a readily available color at your FLAPS is a Ford color, Wimbleton white. Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
    Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
    Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Was Wimbleton White also a body color for a 62GT?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by STUDERAY

I OWN A 1960 LARK. THE BODY IS BEIGE AND I AM GOING TO PAINT THE NEW WHEELS. THE ORIGINAL ONES ARE SEVERAL SHADES DARKEN THAN THE BODY. IS THIS CORRECT? WHERE CAN I PURCHASE A COLOR CHIP FOR THE BODY COLOR. ALSO, I AM SEARCHING FOR A LARK DEALERSHIP BANNER THAT IS GOLD WITH BLACK LETTERS. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A BOOK THAT INDICATES ALL THE STUDEBAKER DEALERS WITH THE ADDRESSES? THANK YOU.
        Ray, first I think you should know that when you type in all capital letters, it is considered shouting when on the internet. I'm not sure about the color on the wheels. I might be wrong, but I didn't think the wheels were painted white regardless of body color until 1963. The color on the wheels may be closer to the original color because the sun would be less likely to fade out the colors.

Paint chips will also change over time and in most cases are not an actual depiction of the color. Even if it was, during the assembly process, colors can end up in different shades of the same colors. In paint terms, this is called a variance. Even now, certain colors may have up to 20 different variances of the same color. The temperature, humidity, pressure, etc., can all have an impact on the color.

Check out http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/ for the paint chips on the 1960 models. The color may not be exact, but the paint code is. Most paint companies can make a gallon or two based on the paint code, even a base coat / clearcoat if needed.

I wouldn't know about the banners. These do show up on Ebay, and the prices vary accordingly. I've heard that the Museum has the names and addresses for the dealers, but I'm not sure of the cost. If you check the seach feature in the 'General' talk area, there are a few threads dedicated towards dealership names and addresses. While far from complete, many are listed.

Good luck and welcome!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I am pretty sure that in 1960 the wheels were painted body color. the wheels in 62 were Wimbledon white.

In 61 wheels were silver.

And, yes Wimbledon white is a dead ringer for Studebaker's Ermine white used on 62 GTs

Wheel colors were addressed in TW, but I don't know what issue.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

I believe Leonard is correct...wheels were (lower) body color through 1960, then silver in '61, then that off white color 62-66.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Right, except 58 wheels were Ermine (Wimbledon) white.

Studebaker like to make things confusing! []

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

I thought that up until 1963, Studebaker painted the outside of the wheels whatever the body color was and that 1963 till their demise was the Ermine/Off white color ?

Comment

No, my family owned a new 58 Hawk and the rims were white, and also a 61 Lark and the rims were silver. I painted both black soon after we bought them. I am positive that 62 Lark rims were white also.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

56-57 Hawk wheels were painted body color, I know this for sure.

Kent

Comment

Another paint to consider is Rustoleum Parchment White..I was given 4 Avanti rims from another owner. I sandblasted them, epoxy primed them then, sprayed them with the Rustoleum. They look sharp. Allow extra time for the Rustoleum to dry.

Comment

So what is the wheel colors for '64? I thought they were a shade of white also but different than '63?

Dan White
                        64 R1 GT
                        64 R2 GT
                        Dan White
                        64 R1 GT
                        64 R2 GT
                        58 C Cab
                        57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

64 wheels are also Ermine (Wimbledon) white.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

64 wheels are a much brighter hite, and I think less attractive white then the antique white earlier wheels.

JDP/Maryland
                            64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                            64 GT R2
                            63 GT R2
                            63 Lark 2 door
                            59 3E truck
                            58 Starlight
                            52 & 53 Starliner
                            51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

The '64 cars I have owned had the '63 Off White/Beige on the U.S. ones and the whiter white as JDP mentions on the late '64 Canadian Imports as well as the '65 & '66's.

It has been my experience that the Ford or is it Chrysler Wimbleton White is not beige enough to match '62 to early '64 original wheels. And we have taken many points off the SDC judged cars for "white" wheels. Ermine White IS White, wheel color is Almond/Beige.

Whites are very tricky, how many '64's have you seen that were actually Astra White? They are always painted Ermine (yellow off-white) OR most commonly GM White which is stark White (blue/white). It is supposed to be Gray/White which is a match to a '64 VW.

StudeRich
                              Studebakers Northwest
                              Ferndale, WA
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X