55 coupe wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: 55 coupe wheels

Does anyone have the wheel interchange link so I can see which wheels would fit a 1955 President coupe? I would like a more modern alloy wheel. I had a list at one time but it disappeared.
    Thanks,
    John
    Last edited by glassfrog; 04-01-2012, 07:51 AM. Reason: explanation

I'm working on getting some wheels made up. They will be 15 x 6 so a modern tire will fit.

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

JC,
      Are you looking for stock wheels, or something that will fit? Stock would have a 5" wide rim and slots to hold the hub caps. They were used at least from '53 to '56, maybe longer. I have some if you need them, but shipping would probably be prohibitive. You could get wheels closer to home for less.
      Jim,
      Is it safe to assume the new wheels will clear your disk brake calipers?
      Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by glassfrog View Post
        Does anyone have the wheel interchange link so I can see which wheels would fit a 1955 President coupe?
        Thanks,
        John
        I don't think there is any such link.

Stock wheels for that car are 15" x 5" and I believe zero offset. Bolt pattern is 5 on 4 1/2" which is the same for most older Fords, Chrysler products, American Motors. A 6" wheel is more desirable since the common 205 75 15 tire will fit better and be safer. Not all 6" wide wheels will fit, however. There is not much room between the rear brake drum mounting face and the fender. Too much negative offset and the tire will be into the fender. Have Jim notify you when his are ready. I am sure they will fit perfectly.

One other thing. If you want to run small hubcaps, stock wheels MAY be your only option since the small hubcaps attach with clips into slots in the wheels which I believe were Studebaker only.
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I woul like to put on some more modern wheels. My hubcaps are not the best and I would prefer better tires. Looking for alloys.

Comment

Originally posted by glassfrog View Post
            Looking for alloys.
            It's a real crap shoot. Hopefully before you commit to a purchase you can have one mounted up with the tire you want and try it front and rear. In the rear, the biggest problem is going to be interference with the fender lip. In the front, too much positive offset will get into the tie rod ends. Also with the sample wheel/tire mounted in front, crank the steering full right and left and bounce the car to insure the tire isn't getting into the fender. The ride height of the car is also going to be a determining factor. If the car is lower either intentionally or due to 50 years of gravity it will be tougher. You are going to be safest with 6" wide wheels with zero offset or slight positive offset, but that's no guarantee unless someone has already done the testing on the specific wheel you are interested in.
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks,
              I found the printout but it is not too helpful because it is not 2012 and hard to find what you need.

Comment

Working...
              X