Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Hydrovac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydrovac

May need to rebuild the hydrovac unit in a 57 GH. Anyone have
    recommendations for a good rebuilder?
    Also would like to change the MC over to a dual chamber one. Will this have an impact on the hydrovac working properly?
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Contact Anwar at Brake Tech Solutions in Charlotte, NC.....excellent work!

Comment

I had mine rebuilt by Miwest Remanufacturing In Bedford Park, Ill..Was around $325 with shipping. Haven't installed it yet..But when I sent it, its was full of rust and didn't look too healthy. They rebuilt it, sent it back looks like

new..

ehead007/DSC01255.jpg[
      /img]

Comment

If you go to a dual chamber master cylinder and retain the Hydrovac, you're only going to have power brakes on the line you put it on, front or rear. Otherwise, you'll have to use a second unit on the other line to have power brakes all the way around.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by John Kirchhoff

If you go to a dual chamber master cylinder and retain the Hydrovac, you're only going to have power brakes on the line you put it on, front or rear. Otherwise, you'll have to use a second unit on the other line to have power brakes all the way around.
          We'll, I sure don't want two of them in the engine compartment!!
          I'll have to check and see what other options there are for power brakes and a dual MC.
          64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

There are dual hydrovacs available from the street rod guys for dual chamber master cylinders, but they are pricey and you have to put them in your trunk or under the car. There is no good fix for power brakes/hydrovacs on Hawks. I have good working hydrovacs (with single chamber master cylinders) on both of my 64s and they work fine. The last one I had redone by JP's guy. I am not sure if JP is still doing hydrovac rebuilds or not but they sure look nice and they did a far better job than the one I had rebuilt a few years ago from a power brake vendor in FL.

Dan White
            64 R1 GT
            64 R2 GT
            Dan White
            64 R1 GT
            64 R2 GT
            58 C Cab
            57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

My guy is still rebuilding them for me, but I only sell direct to vendors after the copper washer issue made me realize that selling wholesale on the net was not worth the risk of bad press in case of a real or perceived defect.

JDP/Maryland
              66 Sports sedan
              64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
              64 Daytona R2
              63 GT R2
              63 Lark 2 door
              62 Gt Hawk
              62 Lark 2 door
              60 Lark HT-60Hawk
              59 3E truck
              58 Starlight
              52 & 53 Starliner
              51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I want to look into options for removing Hydrovac completely. Maybe a firewall mounted booster and MC (swinging pedal) or just change the frame mounted mc to the correct dual chamber one?
                64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

Working...
                X