Tire size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Tire size

What is the largest rear tire size that will fit on a stock 53 Commander?

By "stock" do you mean the wheel also is stock?

Comment

I have 295 X 60 X 15" on my 53 K. On 8" rims with a 5 3/4" backspacing.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
        I have 295 X 60 X 15" on my 53 K. On 8" rims with a 5 3/4" backspacing.

Alan, Are you running the original rear end and springs? How about your cars ride height? Do you have any pictures from the side that show the car's stance? That is larger, cross section wise, than others I have seen.

Thanks

Pat
        Last edited by Pat Dilling; 11-19-2011, 08:29 AM.
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by toastervet View Post
          What is the largest rear tire size that will fit on a stock 53 Commander?
          I have 265-75 R 15's on the rear of Frosty. Home made 8" wide wheels with 6" backspace bolted onto the original rear axle.

Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

The springs are near stock, just a couple of added leaves. The rear is a Currie 9" built to the specs of the Dana 44 that was in it. Changing the rear tires is a lesson in wiggling. You have to raise the car with a bumper jack, let the weight of the rear sag. Then put some KY jelly on the 2 faces of the tire and wiggle it out. Once it is in you have about 1/4" between the tire and fender lip and also the spring leaf.

Comment

Perfect. I am changing the tires on my 53 Coupe. It has Dodge 15X7" Cop car wheels and diff with moser axles.,,with 205X70. I want to move to 205 front and 225 or so rears..didn't know how a 60 series would look or make my already stiff ride harder,
              Back is Stude springs (new) two removed. Gas Shocks and bags.. First bagged car so will be playing with that tomorrow,,

Looks like I have great room in back. Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X