1957 Silver Hawk 289 V8 Engine Paint Colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    That Intake Manifold Pic near the Carb. really does look at lot like many well used Silver '60 Lark Engines I have seen.
    Without the camera and flash, does the actual Color look any more like Silver?
    It looks gold with or without flash, but as stated earlier, I suppose it could be silver-turned-gold due to heat combined with oil contamination (MAN! If I could find a way to really turn silver into gold!!!!).
    I guess a trip to the Studebaker archives is in order, but not real soon. I do enjoy a good mystery...

If I choose to go with silver, is this a standard engine paint or Studebaker specific?
    Last edited by carussell; 10-28-2011, 02:50 PM.

Comment

I like the terquoise better has nice contrast with black valve covers decal also sets off the entire under hood
      Attached Files
      Last edited by acolds; 10-29-2011, 10:24 AM.

Comment

I must admit, I do like the contrast. Does anyone have images of a Hawk V8 with silver painted engine for comparison?
        Also, what is the best engine cleaner other than vatting?
        Thank you again.

Comment

I was just looking at a 6-volt ignition circuit for another post and found this on Bob Johnstone's site: http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/6-12V/Pert6v.html and it shows his '55 President with gold on his rocker covers and oil filler cap. Is this correct for a '55 President; if so, why not a '57 Hawk block?

Comment

That would be because all '55's were Alberta Blue (dark) on the engine block, there were NO Gold Studebaker Engines.

Yes the '58 to '61 Engines were all standard Aluminum Silver, readily available in 500 degree ceramic Engine Enamel spray cans at you local Parts Store.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That would be because all '55's were Alberta Blue (dark) on the engine block, there were NO Gold Studebaker Engines.

Yes the '58 to '61 Engines were all standard Aluminum Silver, readily available in 500 degree ceramic Engine Enamel spray cans at you local Parts Store.
              With all due respect, I still believe there is a possibility of gold-painted Studebaker engine blocks. Perhaps something being tested for the Golden Hawk 289, but was not used on full production 289 engines - just speculation, but it is plausible. Once again, this engine shows no signs of being pulled and is original to the car; there is no evidence of any other color on this motor anywhere, not silver, not turquoise (and there should be somewhere if repainted). I believe evidence of such may very well show up in engineering or production meeting minutes for the years 1956-1958.
              I will wait for a copy of the production order for my Hawk before making any final decision. It will likely end up turquoise - in lieu of silver - as the contrast with black bolt-ons does have better eye appeal. Thank you again for the input.

Comment

Gold engine block

My block was also painted gold...the build sheet showed it was shipped to Portland, I called the SDC there and found out the main Stude dealer there had just passed away.

I wondered if some dealers painted the GH blocks gold for showroom display
                Attached Files
                Gallivan
                57 Golden Hawk
                Golden, CO

Comment

On this Golden Hawk, it appears that an owner has painted the Intake Gold or it is discolored Silver with fuel stains.

Since the Block and Heads are not the correct Turquoise Green or Silver, but BLACK it is unlikely that the Engine ever was Gold.
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Here's a pic of my 1958 Hawk Engine:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IM002251 (800x600) (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1670976

Joe D.

Comment

I have to admit, the silver looks good too. Mine seems to be a late production V8, so I may just go with the silver. Thanks for the image.

Comment

Pulley color

How about the pulleys? Black or engine color?
                        Gallivan
                        57 Golden Hawk
                        Golden, CO

Comment

In our many, many engine color posts I and others have said: the factory painted these engines complete with bell housing, Trans, most engine accessories, COMPLETE with oil pan, manifolds, Distributor, fuel pump, fan and pulleys etc. all one color with valve covers in place and a shield over them so that the rims got block color on the covers.

Of course items like the Dist. fuel pump, Oil Filter, Generator, Starter etc. that were black or natural metal color were usually just oversprayed, not full painted.
                          StudeRich
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

OK-thanks!
                            Gallivan
                            57 Golden Hawk
                            Golden, CO

Comment

In our many, many engine color posts I and others have said: the factory painted these engines complete with bell housing, Trans, most engine accessories, COMPLETE with oil pan, manifolds, Distributor, fuel pump, fan and pulleys etc. all one color with valve covers in place and a shield over them so that the rims got block color on the covers.

Of course items like the Dist. fuel pump, Oil Filter, Generator, Starter etc. that were black or natural metal color were usually just oversprayed, not full painted.
                              With fear of appearing to beat a dead horse, I just wanted to add pictures of my '57 Hawk intake - after removing it today - and show the gold paint once more. It appears it has always been gold and there is gold paint running to the underside of the intake. This appears to agree with the painting process pointed out above, having been painted when fully assembled and not as individual pieces. Additionally, there is no evidence of any other color having EVER been on this intake, not even in the "hard to get to" places. There is no turquoise, no silver, only gold or nothing at all.
                              Once again my block is also painted gold as is this intake and neither have evidence of any other paint anywhere that I can find. If someone had this engine apart and repainted it, they would most likely have painted the entire intake while off the block, as I am about to do once prep is complete.
                              Attached Files

Comment

GOLD Engine?

It sure will be interesting if you EVER get the production Order for this Car, so we can find out if this is the original engine or not, then we can put this very dead horse to rest!

The only thing that makes any sense other than a very early on replacement engine "owner" painted, is that somehow one of the Factory "Display" engines as seen in the salesroom brochures, all painted up with special colors on a display stand, got into this car!

I have actually heard of people tring to "correctly" repaint their Engines, using those as a guide.
                                StudeRich
                                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                                X