Carburetor and Choke Pipe Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Carburetor and Choke Pipe Questions

I am currently working on getting all the correct connectors, fittings, pipes, tubes, etc., on my 1957 Silver Hawk motor, 289 V8 with 6-117-B Stromberg Carburetor, but I cannot find a good reference for what goes to and from where. I am mainly concerned with what I am calling the "choke heat pipe" on the intake manifold and the "warm air supply pipe" attached at a 90 degree. I am assuming there is some fitting I am missing that goes between the "choke heat pipe" on the intake manifold and the "automatic" choke and heat spring assembly inlet on the carburetor; I am also assuming the small "warm air supply pipe" coming off perpendicular to the "choke heat pipe" is supposed to have a hose running from it to the small "warm air inlet pipe" at the throat of the "back-draft" WW carburetor (where the air filter assembly connects). Is that a fair assessment and if so, where can I get the proper hardware? Image attached. Thanks!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by carussell; 10-19-2011, 08:11 PM.

There should be a copper coated tube that sits in the manifold tube, a brass nut ( like in plumbing) connects to the carb, some have a spring type plate to hold the tube into the manifold. You are close to the right track, I may even have the parts.

Comment

That would be great if you had all the parts. How would I go about acquiring them from you? Thanks!

Comment

email sent

I'll look for the parts. I sent you an email.

Comment

(S): I have not yet received the e-mail. Please try again. Thanks!

Comment

Been through that, too. There was a seal "looked like Mica" missing on the tube that comes from the manifold to where it attached to the carb. Some had springs. Found a blow up in both the service manual and the chassis parts catalogue that showed me what I was missing. A call to S.I. with the Stude part #s from the chassis part catalogue and they were in the mail. Good luck.
            Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
              Been through that, too. There was a seal "looked like Mica" missing on the tube that comes from the manifold to where it attached to the carb. Some had springs. Found a blow up in both the service manual and the chassis parts catalogue that showed me what I was missing. A call to S.I. with the Stude part #s from the chassis part catalogue and they were in the mail. Good luck.
              Here is the chassis parts catalog illustration on page 80, showing the carburetor and automatic choke connecting parts (between intake and carburetor). From what I can tell, I will need Studebaker part numbers:

532569 PIPE, automatic choke to manifold (2 barrel carb) with 1/4" pipe nut and 1/4" pipe sleeve
              532418 COVER, automatic choke heater tube
              532366 SEAL, automatic choke heater tube cover
              532360 SPRING, automatic choke heater tube cover

If anybody has these parts, please let me know. These are for my 1957 Silver Hawk with 289 V8 and Stromberg WW 6-117-B two barrel back-draft carburetor.

Thanks again!
              Attached Files

Comment

If some of the other vendors don't come to the rescue, Studebaker Int'l had the parts I needed (532366 seal), and they likely have the rest. Good luck.

Comment

I show a 532365 choke tube kit on my inventory sheet, I can look and see if it is still in stock today.
                  Frank van Doorn
                  Omaha, Ne.
                  1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                  1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                  1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

go fish

Sorry, my search turned up zero.

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
                      I show a 532365 choke tube kit on my inventory sheet, I can look and see if it is still in stock today.

Can you check and see if you actually have it and what is included in the "kit"? Thanks!

Comment

I checked and it is no longer in our inventory, sorry.

Originally posted by carussell View Post
                        Can you check and see if you actually have it and what is included in the "kit"? Thanks!
                        Frank van Doorn
                        Omaha, Ne.
                        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
                          If some of the other vendors don't come to the rescue, Studebaker Int'l had the parts I needed (532366 seal), and they likely have the rest. Good luck.
                          Sent an e-mail to SI with a list of all the part numbers needed; received a positive reply - they have all the components in stock and very reasonable. Thanks again for your help!

Comment

Received all the parts needed from SI. Great folks, very helpful!

Comment

Attaboy! Got mine runnng like a top just in time to put her to bed for the winter. Any snow in Texas? I seem to remember a song called "The Blizzard" from the fifties about a cowpoke in a Texas snow storm. His pony was lame. "They found him there on the plains, his hands froze in the reins. He'd have made it, but he couldn't leave old Dan". Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                              X