Avanti gas tank connections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Avanti gas tank connections

Just took the gas tank out of the 63 R2 and have a couple of questions: There are two lines going forward, one is a 3/8" metal tube to the gas pump; the second is a 1/4" metal tube that runs parallel to the 3/8' line but is pluged shut as it ends in the engine compartment. Is this line a vapor return and where should it properly terminate in the engine compartment? (Car is an R2 but currently has an R 1 engine that will be replaced to restore it to R2 supercharger). Finally there is a "vent" line that runs on top of the tank and loops thru the side of the fiberglass body and then back into the car wherupon it penetrates the floor immediately in front of he tank. According to the book it's a vent line; does anyone know why it penetrates the inside body frame to form the loop, yet it comes back into the car to extend down thru the inside floor. This rubber line should be replaced but I would like to know what the loop is for. I'm not that familiar with Avanti. Ken, Deltaville,Va
    Last edited by ken-renda; 07-07-2011, 04:03 PM.

Ken
    The smaller line from the engine bay is a return line. It sounds like someone has disconnected it. It should run from the fuel pump (from memory) or fuel filter ( I can't remember which) back to the fuel tank. It returns any excess/unused fuel rather than flooding the carby. The vent pipe is as you described. I assume the loop is there to allow the fuel vapours to vent rather than the fuel itself.
    pb
    Last edited by 63r2; 07-07-2011, 04:15 PM.

Comment

There should be a small 1/4" elbow soldered to the drivers side top of the tank. The return hose goes there. Use good modern grade flex line to go through the floor and connect to the return line .
      Some cars have a "T" in the puel pump outlet line . The nipple that screws into the "T" has a tiny .040 hole (I think) to limit pressure loss. This line hooks to the return line. Some cars, have a glass bowl fuel filter closer to the carb, and a return line exits the top of it. It too has a restricton to maintain good pressure to the carb. The return line is in essence a bleed off of the main supply line from the pump, or filter.
      The vent line is a tricky job to loop back up into the 1/4 panel. They must have run it before the outer skin was bonded in place!.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

bezhawk is correct the vent hose in the quarter panel was set in place prior to bonding the outer skin. No way can a replacement be fed up through the positioning clips. The hole over the pumpkin was the initial routing of the fuel line. Studebaker changed it to the present location, no reason given. the hole can be patched shut. It will keep the road dust out of the gasoline tank area and also reduce roard noise. Best to replace all rubber hoses. Old gasoline saturated hoses give off an odd stench.
        Last edited by Retired; 07-07-2011, 06:10 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

I replaced my vent pipe by cutting a hand size hole in the inner fibreglass. As mentioned previously it's mission impossible to try and feed anything up there. From memory there was a clamp in the higher reaches that the pipe went through so you really need to get your hand in there.
          pb

Comment

I replaced my vent line while the interior was out of the car. I t can be done but not easily. The upper clip needs to be opened a bit to allow the vent tubing to pull out. Attach a cord to the tubing before pulling it out, so you can draw the new tubing in with the cord. I didn't have to cut any fibreglass but you do have to utilize the hole in the upper region of the side panel to access the clip.

Comment

A few years ago i replaced my old fuel hose conections with fuel injection hose,that old type
              hose wont hold up to todays gas.

Comment

What in the world is a "pumpkin"???
                Originally posted by Retired View Post
                bezhawk is correct the vent hose in the quarter panel was set in place prior to bonding the outer skin. No way can a replacement be fed up through the positioning clips. The hole over the pumpkin was the initial routing of the fuel line. Studebaker changed it to the present location, no reason given. the hole can be patched shut. It will keep the road dust out of the gasoline tank area and also reduce roard noise. Best to replace all rubber hoses. Old gasoline saturated hoses give off an odd stench.

Comment

It's what a Ford guy calls the differential center section. In OUR case, it would be the cast case center section of the Dana 44!
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Live-n-learn:-)
                    Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                    It's what a Ford guy calls the differential center section. In OUR case, it would be the cast case center section of the Dana 44!

Comment

I always understood the proper, technical name to be "punkin" not "pumpkin".
                      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Working...
                      X