No announcement yet.

1961 Stude Lark police package?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: 1961 Stude Lark police package?

I took a look at a 1961 Lark 4 door sedan here in Phoenix earlier today and am wondering if there is any way to tell if it was ever a cop car.

Why I wonder is this vehicle has single headlights but is (probably) a 259 2V Eight with a 3 spd stick/overdrive combo but was fitted with AC at one time. Note the Phx PD ran Larks ca. 1959-61. The other thing odd is a round hole about 5/8" in the top of the L/H (driver's) front fender.

The body is off white and is almost perfect so maybe a detective's car?
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Without seeing it I think its possible that the hole was for the radio antenna. OEM antennas were mounted in that area. Cop cars usually have the spotlight which would then have a hole in the base of the windshield base or the left windshield post.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Pierce: From what you said, there's nothing firm to define it as a Police Car. The hole in the fender may have been for a simple radio antenna that was removed at one time.

'Best thing to do is look under the hood at the body identification tag in the upper left (as you face it) corner of the engine compartment. If it was a Police Car, it will have been built as a heavy-duty unit, trim level 3.

The top line of the body tag will thus read 61V-W3. That won't confirm it as being a Police Car for sure, but will confirm that it certainly wasn't a garden-variety sedan produced for regular retail sales, either. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

All 1961 Lark DeLuxe models came with single headlights, unless ordered with the dual headlight option.
        I owned a 1961 Lark DeLuxe sedan with single headlights, 259 V8 and standard transmission and have seen others. These are not rare or unusual and do not indicate a fleet car by themselves.
        As Bob P. says, post the body plate information to better ID the car.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The police cars were referred to as 'Marshals'. One sign is a zipper in the headliner where a rooftop light would have mounted.

A little more Marshal info here:
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
            The police cars were referred to as 'Marshals'. One sign is a zipper in the headliner where a rooftop light would have mounted.

A little more Marshal info here:
            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...556-New-Member
            Thanks for the info everyone.

This sedan is evidently not a Marshal since it has a 259 2V single exhaust V8, 27 axle, generator and no signs of emergency equipment (spot[s], siren or overheads). Bummer since the body is almost showroom condition; virtually NO rust or dents.
            --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

If the body's that clean it's well worth saving, Marshal or not. Go get it!
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
              Romans 15:13
              Deuteronomy 31:6
              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
              X