horn location 51 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: horn location 51 Champion

Where do the horns mount? I had mounted them on the firewall (and had always wondered why the relay was mounted so far away). Tom Elliot pointed out my mistake at the SE zone meet and told me they should be behind the grilles. Now I want to correct it but don't see where they mount, or I don't have the proper mounting brackets. any photos would be most appreciated. Thanks

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Thanks, I figured that was the logical place but the mounting brackets didn't look like they would work. Guess I'll have to go to plan B.

Comment

Brad, are ALL 1951 Champion horns mounted underneath the air deflector in front of the radiator, unlike 1950 models? I'm asking, I don't know otherwise. I thought I recalled someone (Michidan?) saying that 1952 Champion horns mounted like my 1950 horns.

John
        1950 Champion
        W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
        Holdrege NE

Comment

My '51 is a Commander. I have a friend with a '52 Champion. His are under the air deflector. Still an open question.
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10,
          '51 Commander Starlight,
          '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
          '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

I think all 52 are under the air deflector. I DID have a thread on it, only because I have a custom radiator mounted 3 inches farther forward in the car. So the stock location was not going to work for me.
            I installed mine in the front right corner of the car. They actually fit very well here, mounted on the stock bracket. So it's not a bad option if you are modifying. Here's a picture.
            (there are more components here out of stock location that in it. Which is why 'simple' and 'motor swap' are 2 words not to be used together lightly.)
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X