Look what I found in my gas tank...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look what I found in my gas tank...

I've been having trouble with Ol' Bucky's fuel system ever since I tried to drive him home from Wisconsin 2 months ago. Rebuilt the carb and got some relief, but two weeks ago, the truck died downtown. It would only run on shots from the accelerator pump (a fun way to drive home - not!) Cleaned some thready wads of junk out of the fuel bowl and we're back on the road. Then, last weekend the fuel supply to the carb went to nil while out on a drive. I had to rig a gas can under the hood to gravity feed the carb just to get home. I finally decided to drain and drop the main tank. This is what I found:

Looks to be the remains of a paper bag. How it got there I haven't a clue (to paraphrase Jimmy Buffet [8D]) There was certainly enough junk in the tank to explain my fuel starvation problem and all the little thready piles I've been dumping out of the fuel bowl on the pumpand the carb. Hopefully I can get Bucky back together tomorrow and put all these fuel problems to rest.

Mike "Magnum" Harm
    Fort Leavenworth, KS

In various tanks, I've found a fuel pump nozzle, jewlery, rocks, and a big wad of carpet yarn in mine. The yarn, I think may have come out of one of my gas cans. An ex-mousehouse.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

One time years ago my 4yr old son seemed to be spending a long time beside my 53 Ford pickup.I finally went to see what he was up to.
      The gascap was on the running board, the fuel filler tube filled to the top with white rock from the driveway.

LaSalle,Il
      61Hawk
      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52hawk

One time years ago my 4yr old son seemed to be spending a long time beside my 53 Ford pickup.I finally went to see what he was up to.
        The gascap was on the running board, the fuel filler tube filled to the top with white rock from the driveway.

LaSalle,Il
        61Hawk
        Did the pickup run on the rocks??

53commander HDTP
        53 Champion HDTP
        61 Cursed Purple Hawk
        64 Champ long bed V8
        64 Champ long bed V8
        55/53 Studebaker President S/R
        53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Eye've seen some amazing things in sediment-bowls...

Faster than a rusting bullet... Gopher Grove, CA

Comment

Some years ago, I was parting out a '50 Starlight coupe that I'd gotten in a swap deal. The car was straight and fairly solid, but I couldn't find a home for it and I was tired of pushing it around here. I decided I'd take what was saleable off of it and trash the rest.
            Good gas tanks bring money now and then and this one seemed solid. It even had a fair amount of REALLY OLD, foul-smelling gas still in it. I found a bucket to dump the stuff into and as I did so, a nice, red shop rag plooped out. Someone's temporary gas cap? Heh - maybe THAT was the reason the car stopped being driven! I knew it had literally been pulled from a ravine up in the mountains a couple of years before I got it![}]

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
            X