'60 Window Channel Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '60 Window Channel Replacement

I would like to replace the front window channel on a '60 Lark convertible. I have the replacement channel from SI. It appears that the channel is riveted in. It looks like trying to replace this with pop rivets will not work. Do any of you have suggestions on how to do this?

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Rob
    Laramie

The old channel finally all balled up and I need to replace the channel. Has anyone done this and what did you use to replace the rivits?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rob

Comment

I use BRASS rivets of the correct length and diameter... but you MUST have the correct rivet-setting tools. Also, you can get different grades of brass...some softer than others. I don't recall the type I bought (many-many years ago), but I asked for a more "hardened" brass so they would last. Unfortunately... you usually have to buy a large box (1lb)..
      I think mine are 1/8" diameter x 3/8"long. On some areas (such as the vertical rubber strip at the back of the vent window) you may even need to grind the rivet a bit shorter.
      The important thing is to have a shallow head (flat, not domed) and PEEN (or use a setting tool to create a domed head) the side AWAY from the inside of the channel.
      Whatever you do ..DO NOT use aluminum pop-rivets thinking you can peen the heads down... they will NOT last anytime at all and your channel will come loose. Steel rivets will rust quickly.

I did a quick google-search and this place has lots of info on rivet types etc... You can use solid or tubular rivets.
      You may even want to look into their setting tools too.
      We provide high quality rivets, rivet tools, rivet guns, fastener, rivet machines and more! Call (800) 777-4838 for more information. 

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
      Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
      Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

I am at the same point on my 60 also, but am concerned that the channel wont fit into the upper portion of the track that has the stainless steel trim over it. I had heard in the past of using velcro in the channel instead of replacing it. Anyone here have any experience with that?

60 Lark convertible
        61 Champ
        62 Daytona convertible
        63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2)
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
        X