No announcement yet.

Adding A/C to 1950 Champion w/ 6cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this a/c set-up is in a 50 Champion.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
      I think this a/c set-up is in a 50 Champion.

Yes it is. Most all of that bracketry work was done by Jeff Woodcock; he's a Forum member and runs his own machine shop.

Last edited by mbstude; 05-31-2011, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnywiffer View Post
        Actually, the '55 had A/C as an option,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8998[/ATTACH]

And it was retroactively available for '53-'54, which were all 6 volts systems.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8999[/ATTACH]

However, as stated, only for the V-8 engines. I'm guessing the factory felt the 6 simply didn't have the extra power to run the system.

John
        wow -- what is up with the tubes in the rear window? is the a/c unit located in the trunk or what? i recall seeing an old 50s car with tubes like that, years ago, but i didn't realize it was an a/c unit...
        sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
        Regal Deluxe Trim
        Automatic transmission
        46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

yes, and yes.

Comment

Does the Vintage Air system need 12V negative ground? I'm almost ready to re-wire the 51 Champion, and am looking at the best setup (and keeping in mind I might want to add AC).
            Anyone using one of the 3-post batteries, and how would that figure into the electrical layout necessary to add the AC? Tap 12V off two posts then invert to negative ground, leaving the
            rest of the car positive ground (starting and lights 12V, the remainder of the car 6V)?

Comment

Wouldn't it get confusing with 3 different voltage systems in the car? Good luck with it.
              John Clements
              Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Here is a pic of one side of mine. Remember, my LC is a '54 with 12v system, so the trunk-mounted AC came from a '56.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AC 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	1668478

You can see the air inlets so it is a recirculating system. And it's pretty noisy for those in the rear seats with a blower motor on each side. Yes, 2 motors. And because the unit is so heavy, the rear springs require "helpers" unless you want the rear U-joint to rat-tat-tat on the body with passengers in the rear. All in all, not as modern is you might like.

John
                Last edited by Johnnywiffer; 07-01-2011, 05:58 AM.

Comment

Still looking at design options on the electrical, John. If I go to modern heat/AC, that eliminates two 6V blower motors that I'd have to step voltage down for. The car either never had the anti-creep or someone removed it long ago, so that would only leave the radio to consider for a 12V conversion, since lights and starting would be on 12V. Still need to do some more digging regarding what is involved with the lighting if changed to 12V negative ground.

Regards,
                  Clarence

Comment

As long as bulbs are 12 volt, I don't think the change in polarity will matter. Of more concern is switching the fuel guage or installing a Runtz voltage drop.
                    "In the heart of Arkansas."
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Thanks, 52 fan. Yep, I haven't studied the 12 volt conversion guide recently, so I need to refresh on that, including the fuel sending unit. Still some thinking and studying to do before moving forward.

Best regards,
                      Clarence
                      Last edited by cbonner757; 07-18-2011, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Looking at this again for next year possibly. Did any of you guys get the a/c worked out on your flatheads? Ideally I'd like to keep the system 6v and just add an efficient compressor that doesn't drag the engine on my 50 down too much.
                        sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
                        Regal Deluxe Trim
                        Automatic transmission
                        46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

That cooler set up looks like the easy way to go.
                          If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                          64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                          61 V8 Tcab
                          63 Tcab 20R powered
                          55 Commander Wagon
                          54 Champion Wagon
                          46 Gibson Model A
                          50 JD MC
                          45 Agricat
                          67 Triumph T100
                          66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

There was a 51 champion in Pensacola Fla for sale about 5 years ago on ebay I think it went to somewhere in the north east

Comment

Deco, I'd not been on the forum for ages. No, I've not gotten that far yet, to get to the AC. Finally got all mechanicals
                              (less automatic choke) working smooth, and ready to send her out for paint and body/interior restoration. I plan on
                              a partial 12V conversion using a Runtz resistor to keep the stock gages, so I'd be using the 12V AC system when I get that far along with the project.

Comment

With the anemic little six, I'm guessing you'd have to set the idle to about 3000 RPM in order to keep the engine from dying when the compressor kicks on

Comment

Working...
                                X