Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks: need B6 HD Bilsteins

Hello to all,

I like to have some proper frontshocks on my 62 GT.
    The German part of Bilstein is really unable to help me with this,so I come to you.
    It must be pin above,ring under.
    Extended length 378mm and compressed 238 mm,just as mentioned in the Studebaker crosslist.
    The shocks mentioned in this list are not so firm but the B6 HD will be.
    Bistein US guys wont phone me back, you can only speak to an answering machine, dont know why.

Thanks, Dick Waterreus,Netherlands

Would the Corvette application be stiff enough? F4-B36-0228-H1 you'd need to press out the lower cross pin and reuse the ones from your old shocks. I have to admit I haven't really cracked the Bilstein code, but the part number I gave is for a Corvette, so I would assume that it is somewhat performance oriented...

nate

PS - you're a man after my own heart.
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Nate thanks for your quick answer.
      But here it is where it starts.
      The corvette parts is a B36 and I need a B46 type in the B6 HD series.
      36 or 46 stands for diameter in mm .
      How much travel have these Corvette shocks?
      A hawk needs 140mm ,from 238 to 378 maybe is that a lot?
      and yes I like the chassis and suspension of the hawk,there must be a reason they use the commander in the Panamericana race, by the way do you know the films on you tube about that?

Comment

Can I suggest you contact Pedders Suspension in Australia? When the Gabriel shocks suggested on their (Gabriel) website proved wrong for my 1962 Lark, my installer contacted Pedders who had the exact thing and I've had happy motoring since. I know they're a long way away but should be able to provide some assistance. http://www.pedders.com.au/home

Best wishes for a successful outcome and happy motoring.
        John Clements
        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

,there must be a reason they use the commander in the Panamericana race,
          I, also, like the Studebaker suspension, but the Carerra Panamerica Stude racers I've seen photos on are mostly tube-framed NASCAR builds. While I haven't crawled under any or all of them, I'm educated-guessing there is very little Stude left under there.

jack vi nes
          PackardV8

Comment

Here's a little link that may be useful.
            Hier kunt u de domeinnaam mayer.be in 1 keer afrekenen, in 3 termijnen of 25 termijnen. Direct na de betaling ontvangt u per e-mail de bevestiging, de factuur en de verhuistoken.

You should try to contact Mayer in Belgium.
            Hier kunt u de domeinnaam mayer.be in 1 keer afrekenen, in 3 termijnen of 25 termijnen. Direct na de betaling ontvangt u per e-mail de bevestiging, de factuur en de verhuistoken.

If you get the info, please let me know. This could be useful for my 63 GT.

Best of luck.
            sigpic

Comment

these guys might be able to help as well

also, if you backdate your lower control arms you can use Volvo P1800 shock F4-B46-0283-H0 you would need early lower control arm, early lower shock mount, but use the original "knuckles" from your car (so you'd need a lower outer trunnion kit) to mate up to the late kingpins.

nate
              Last edited by N8N; 04-29-2011, 05:24 AM.
              --
              55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Bistein serie B6 - B46

Nate there is the qeustion,how is it possible that Bilstein cannot find the frontshock for a car 500kg wheelpressure ,238 mm compressed,378 mm expanded pintop and ringbottom is this so hard? Bilstein has no list of measurements like Monroe has. So that is the real problem.
                I will make contact with racecar dynamics.

For Christophe, Mayer. be depends on Bilstein Germany and they are not cooperative .
                Last edited by hawk gt 62 rhd; 04-29-2011, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hawk gt 62 rhd View Post
                  Hello to all,

I like to have some proper frontshocks on my 62 GT.
                  The German part of Bilstein is really unable to help me with this,so I come to you.
                  It must be pin above,ring under.
                  Extended length 378mm and compressed 238 mm,just as mentioned in the Studebaker crosslist.
                  The shocks mentioned in this list are not so firm but the B6 HD will be.
                  Bistein US guys wont phone me back, you can only speak to an answering machine, dont know why.

Thanks, Dick Waterreus,Netherlands
                  Stay with Gabriel Classic gas shocks. They are the best comination of ride and handling you will find. And they do fit correctly. The number you need is 82087. Anything else won't fit.

Comment

gabriels

Hi Dude,thanks for your concern but are thegabriels adjustable?

Comment

I also beleive that a much haevier shock would be beneficial. I now have a heavy duty (that is what they called it at O'reilleys) Monroe for a Camero on my Hawk, and they are way too soft for me. Had to adapt the bottom bracket. David

Comment

Hi David,and others there is no progression with the Bilstein Co .or racecar dynamics.

Gabriel classic gas was perhaps under my car in 1962 but I do not know how they feel,I hope for a bit sporty.
                        If anybody can say how they feel let he please stand up and speak,thanks.

Comment

I used the Konis 8040-1017,with a home made crosspin of 110 mm,setting the shocks in positition 50 0/0 firmer.

Comment

have you driven the car yet? how do you feel about the damping? That's the Camaro application, correct?

thanks

nate
                            --
                            55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Last edited by hawk gt 62 rhd; 06-03-2011, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X