coolant outlet gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coolant outlet gasket

Pardon me if this sounds like too simple a question... but I've got a very slight coolant leak on the head (Champion 6) at the coolant outlet (thermostat housing) and I want to change the gasket to see if this stops it. Can I use any readily available (FLAPS) gasket material or do I need to order the specific part?

Is there a substitute or equivalent anyone knows of? Thanks.

Las Vegas, NV
    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

quote:Originally posted by vegas paul

Pardon me if this sounds like too simple a question... but I've got a very slight coolant leak on the head (Champion 6) at the coolant outlet (thermostat housing) and I want to change the gasket to see if this stops it. Can I use any readily available (FLAPS) gasket material or do I need to order the specific part?

Is there a substitute or equivalent anyone knows of? Thanks.

Las Vegas, NV
    Yes, parts store gasket material will work, but you need to go with the thinner stuff. This is not a place for the really thick gasket material, especially with the amount of torque that gets put on those bolts. Use a little of your favorite gasket sealer on it (I used Permatex Aviation Form-a-Gasket, but this is real old tech.....just like me<G>!). Remember that there is also a round gasket under the thermostat 'ring'.....look at the parts book.

Also, the bolts holding the Champion thermostat housing on are head bolts, so they will need to be torqued to the spec in the Shop Manual.

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Paul; the Thermostat "RING" that the other Paul mentions is very important! It is actually the thermostat "SPACER" and must be there, and in good shape with it's own gasket or the thermostat will leak internally.

It is best to order the correct gaskets: 194658, 194660. Or the complete kit with spacer, 801371 or 372, if you live in a cold climate.

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks - I ordered them from Studebaker International just now.

Las Vegas, NV

Comment

Nothing beats Permatex form-a-gasket No2 on both sides of a gasket. I
          even use it on my 1995 Impala water neck due to corrosion in the alum
          neck where the rubber gasket sits. Never had a leak after.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
          X