Transmission question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission question.

I finally have Lucy to a point where she's ready for her first drive. The best I can tell she hasn't been on the road in over 10 yrs. I've not done anything to the FOM other than change the fluid/filter, which was still red and no particles in the oil. Is there anything else I need to do before I take her on her first drive (other than cross my fingers and hope I put everything back together properly?

Anything sitting for 10-20 years needs all the fluids and lubricants replaced. Drain the coolant and reverse-flush the system, engine oil, (you've already done the tranny) differential lube, brake fluid, PS fluid, . Do a complete lube and oil change by the book, all new belts and hoses.

FWIW, I always do the first drive on jackstands. While you are bleeding the brakes, run the engine it til warm. Then, go up and down through the gears, forward and reverse, stopping using the brakes. There is usually always something better to discover in the garage than in the middle of a busy intersection ten miles from home.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
    PackardV8

Comment

Brakes! A complete and thorough inspection and/or rebuild. Did I remember to suggest brakes? Also, don't neglect the brakes!

Brad Johnson
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks for the pointers guys, guess I forgot to mention, engine/radiator, alternator, starter, carb, exhaust, u-joints and brakes are all new or rebuilt.. the only things which have not been opened are the rear end and tranny.. all else is basically new.

Comment

I would say you're good to go! If you don't know when the trans and rear were last serviced, a flush and fill can't hurt. Then again, this comes from someone who never has flushed the rear in the Rockne I bought fifteen years ago.[:0]

Brad Johnson
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

My ,sounds good. However, I would think one should drop the traney pan and clean it. My opinion.

Comment

Working...
            X