Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 GT Hawk tranny, need cooling?

Hi All,

I'm using a 62 Hawk engine and automatic tranny in the 53 commander project. I understand that year tranny did not have a cooler. Have any of you experienced heating issues with that tranny?

Regards,
    John Brayton

Originally posted by John Brayton View Post
    Hi All,

I'm using a 62 Hawk engine and automatic tranny in the 53 commander project. I understand that year tranny did not have a cooler. Have any of you experienced heating issues with that tranny?

Regards,
    The tranny in my '62 Hawk runs pretty hot, especially in our sub tropical summers, but it's never let me down. From discussions I've had with old trannys mechanics running hot is par for course for those older type boxes, but it doesn't effect them.
    Matt
    Brisbane
    Australia
    sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Originally posted by John Brayton View Post
      Hi All,

Regards,

May I suggest that you install an aftermarket cooler and then you have one less thing to worry about. You could probably do it for about a hundred bucks...inclucing the tubing.

Better safe than sorry.

Comment

That would be a very difficult task requiring a nearly complete teardown to Install, since Air Cooled Borg Warner Trans. Cases do not have the proper in and out pressure ports, tubing, fittings etc.

To have Oil cooling, on a Flight-O-Matic, you need a H.D. Transmission from a : Truck, Taxi, Police, early Supercharged Car or late Avanti/Jet Thrust Car.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

They were designed to be air cooled. Just don't alter the air intake and change the fluid every year.
          When I installed later V8s in 1953-1954s, I preferred to use a 1955 automatic.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

change the fluid every year ? a bit overkill/wasteful... ???

Comment

Original service recommendation from Borg Warner was drain and refill every 15,000 miles or once a year. I'm certain we all did that religiously.

Okay, ...we didn't and, probably, suffered few consequences.

Original fluid was 10W premium engine oil. Modern Dexron/Mercon is a far superior transmission lubricant. I would feel comfortable running a bit more than recommended between flush and fill.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                change the fluid every year ? a bit overkill/wasteful... ???
                Considering the cost and effort to rebuild a DG 250M, I always thought that a little fluid was cheap.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                  Original service recommendation from Borg Warner was drain and refill every 15,000 miles or once a year. I'm certain we all did that religiously.

Okay, ...we didn't and, probably, suffered few consequences.

Original fluid was 10W premium engine oil. Modern Dexron/Mercon is a far superior transmission lubricant. I would feel comfortable running a bit more than recommended between flush and fill.
                  The 1953 "Studebaker Automatic Drive" booklet says to "Drain and Refill" [no mention of flush] every 15,000 miles ...or once a year. Use only Studebaker Type A Automatic Transmission Fluid [not engine oil]."

I always drained and refilled the ATs in my 1953-1955 Studebakers every year when I did the oil and grease.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    The 1953 "Studebaker Automatic Drive" booklet says... Use only Studebaker Type A Automatic Transmission Fluid" [not engine oil].
                    Gary, you're reading the '53 book; I'm reading the '51 book. 10W premium engine oil works; Studebaker Type A Transmission Fluid is better and didn't exist in '51; Dexron/Mercon is the modern best.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                    X