Paint code help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint code help

Not that I'm anywhere near painting, but. . .

My plan has been to paint my Speedster white/gold/white, as one example was actually painted at the factory. (Not the original colors on mine, but I'm not wild about coral and pimlico gray.)

Yesterday I received the build sheet for Speedster #1738. The paint code given for the experimental gold middle color is "Rinshed-Mason's Gold #E21N014". The white top and bottom are standard Shasta White.

Does anyone know where to find the paint code for a modern equivelant of that particular gold? Is there even a way to track a non-standard (I assume. . . never heard of Rinshed-Mason's) paint like that?

Thanks

Paul
    I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
    1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

This link is all you need, I've ordered from them several times. http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/

Joe
    sigpic

1962 Daytona
    1964 Cruiser
    And a few others

Comment

Joe,

Couldn't find any kind of listing for the gold. This was an "experimental" color, so it doesn't show up on the Stude color charts. I wonder if it's the same as the 1955 Packard "Agate". But TCP doesn't have a 1955 color chart for Packard. There's a Ditzler color code for that one that's DAL (or DQE) 21170, but I couldn't find any Ditzler list at TPC, either.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdGenStude View Post
        >>>Does anyone know where to find the paint code for a modern equivelant of that particular gold? Is there even a way to track a non-standard (I assume. . . never heard of Rinshed-Mason's) paint like that? Thanks Paul
        I do not have the data right now to answer your specific questions, but highly suspect that "Experimental Gold" used on that one '55 model was "Sunglow Gold" offered on the '56 model line. It’s not at all unusual for a manufacturer to paint one vehicle a color they are considering using the following model year to see how it would actually look on a vehicle.

Good luck!!!
        Last edited by Welcome; 02-02-2011, 03:53 AM.

Comment

I found the answer to the mystery!

Mr. Joseph Skurka at BASF USA traked down the number and came up with the following info:

"We found a Packard color called Agate that came up on a search for the
          number you supplied.** This could make sense if Packard and Studebaker
          were affiliated at that time, but I'm not sure about that.* I'm hoping you
          might know.
          Anyway, the color is called agate and looks like a taupe solid (no
          Metallic) color.* I think the Packard code was 55K82."

I was a little disappointed by the color chip I found online. It's a little more toward a gray than a gold. Oh well. It still beats Coral and Pimlico. ;-)

I replied back to BASF to see if they can give a modern formula for the color.

Paul

Comment

Paint Codes

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6081as.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	1725450
            Its just my opinion, but I kinda like Coraltone and Pimlico Gray.
            Bill
            http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by clarkwd View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]79010[/ATTACH]
              Its just my opinion, but I kinda like Coraltone and Pimlico Gray.
              Bill
              http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
              I agree. It fits in with the theme of the 1955 Speedsters (too much is not enough). My own 1955 Speedster was a neopolitan ice cream special (Coraltone, Pimlico Gray and Shasta White).
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I guess that over the years I've owned at least one Speedster in about every color combination, with the exception of the experimental cars, and Coraltone, Pimlico Gray, and Coraltone. I've always found the later color combination without the white top to be vary striking. Not saying that I dislike the withe top combination, but it always seemed to me like someone was hedging their bet, thinking that men would think that there was too much pink. That always seemed a bit strange when the original, in your face, green/yellow combination, had been so popular.

In responding to the thread I was reminded of some soul searching that led me to some conclusions regarding the Speedster. I tried to put myself in the seat of a new Speedster in 1955. Keeping in mind that most cars in 1955 were purchased by men, it is obvious that the Y/G combination was designed for a man's consumption. The pink combos might have been an attempt to bring in some of the emerging women's market. Then I asked myself if I would drive either one of these combos, everyday, in 1955. My answer was a resounding hell no! I think that what we like about the Speedster today is reliving the statement that was being made in the auto industry, at that time. Times were good and we envisioned our cars differently then we do today. The cars reflected the good times, but driving a car every day would still have been reserved for a courageous few.
                Last edited by Hallabutt; 02-24-2019, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Paul Rinshed- mason or R-M paint was a top brand paint and I know used well into the 90's. It was the best color match you could get on a lot of Gm and Ford trucks. In fact they where the OE paint supplier in the 70-80 ford trucks. I had their mix system as a second paint line in my body shop back in the early 80's.

Comment

Working...
                  X