Vent rubber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vent rubber

For a '53 Coupe--does ALL vent rubber fit this badly, or was I sent the wrong item? The top, as fitted in the correct spot, is fine; the bottom is off by over 1 1/2". The hole for the vent pivot is off by about 3/4".

'53 Commander
    Art Morrison chassis
    LS6 ASA/4L60E

Maybe you were sent the wrong year?

Comment

Just a shot in the dark,maybe you were sent one for a 53 sedan?
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I just ordered a pair today from S.I. Boy I hope they are not like this.

Comment

Is it possible that you stretched it while installing it? The frame needs to be very slippery and the rubber compressed into the frame. Set the ends in place and the pivot hole in the correct position and then squeeze the remaining rubber into the frame. A coating of WD40 on the frame and rubber will make the job go easier.

Comment

I got vent rubber for a 64 GT that was so big that I broke the handle trying to close the window even after trimming it by about 1/2 of its thickness.

Comment

I just finished installing SI vent rubber on my 53. Looked way too big when I started but was able to compress the rubber to fit correctly. Installing the rivets was a two man job. Using soapy water worked better than WD40 because the WD40 attacked the rubber leaving black smears everywhere and the soapy water did not. Of course, I'm secretly hoping we never have to open the vent wings once they're sealed!

Regards,
              John Brayton
              John Brayton

Comment

Originally posted by WCP View Post
                Is it possible that you stretched it while installing it? The frame needs to be very slippery and the rubber compressed into the frame. Set the ends in place and the pivot hole in the correct position and then squeeze the remaining rubber into the frame. A coating of WD40 on the frame and rubber will make the job go easier.
                No, I have the other one lined up next to it, and it looks like a rogue seal got sent to me.
                '53 Commander
                Art Morrison chassis
                LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

I got seals for my '53 C from SI a few years ago and they went in with no issues at all. Has to be the wrong item.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                    I got seals for my '53 C from SI a few years ago and they went in with no issues at all. Has to be the wrong item.

To clarify, these are not from SI.
                    '53 Commander
                    Art Morrison chassis
                    LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

Coupe vs hardtop ones may look similar but are different length. Could be you have a hardtop seal instead of a coupe one.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Who or where did you get them from?

Comment

I installed a pair in the vent windows of both a 51 sedan and a 53 hardtop. Most are a challenge and require patience. I've decided that new reproduction pieces are molded from NOS. Just an opinion, but I think that makes them just a bit bigger, or fatter than original. Again, that's an opinion. Both cars required closing the vents by compressing them from the outside and then pulling down the handle to lock in place. On one car, it took a bit of effort and the rubber bulged a bit when close.
                          Kim

Comment

I've put new ones in several GT's. Not easy but pretty nice fit when finished. I would say you have hard top rubber that you are trying to get into coupe wing channel.

Comment

Humble opinion....unless you "have" to replace the rubber on your car or truck....don't do it. Especially if a trailer queen...There are plenty of treatments out there that will spark up the appearance of the old rubber.....who's looking for it anyway ? Does NORS "score" better than original ?

Comment

Working...
                              X