Axle Shaft thread size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle Shaft thread size?

I bought a Dana 27 TT rear end (1960) at a swap meet last fall and it came with drums & backing plates, but the castle nuts were missing. (no big deal on that as I had them from the old axle). Well it appears that the axle was handled less than gingerly and someone boogered up the threads on the axle shafts. (one way worse than the other) I need to buy a rethreading die but I was wondering if anyone knows the size of the nut and the thread count? It may make it easier to find one as opposed to bringing the nut all creation over trying to find the fit.

Of course I discover this after everything is cleaned, painted, resealed, greased, installed & brakes bled....

Go to this site and scroll down to 'Rear Axle Rethreading Help'. The tool, and the method shown, usually works best for restoring an axle end...............
    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

7/8"-14 if my memory is correct.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Also, if it just the threads on the very END of the axle, grind them off. There are 'extra threads' out there that the nut does not use when all torqued up.

Comment

If you can locate a thread file it may be all you need. Get the correct one as they come in many sizes. I have a set of five. Very handy

Comment

Or use a hack saw and saw the threads back. Works in a pinch. Jim

Comment

So I was delayed due to a sinus infection, but I finally fired up the woodstove in the man cave and went to work on those axle threads today.

I ground down the end threads and cleaned threads up with a file. I put a die on it and it kept wanting to crossthread so I gave up and called Chuck Collins in AZ to borrow that rethreading tool before I did further damage, as per Dwain's post above. Chuck is a nice guy and said he would drop one in the mail on Monday.

Thanks all for the tips, especially Dwain G. The threads are 7/8 14, as rockne10 correctly stated.

Comment

So I got the tool from Chuck yesterday and it worked great. :-)

Comment

Working...
                X