Adjusting the valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting the valves

What should the valves be set at on a V8? I'm adjusting them with the engine cold.

(Here's from an earlier StudeRich, and Sals54 post)

Set them at .026 Cold and you will get .024 Hot.

SDC Forum 04/19/2008
    I found an old Chiltons Auto Repair Manual with an adjustment for valves on the V-8 Studebaker engine that puts #1 cylinder at top dead center compression stroke , then adjusting #1 cyl both; #3 Exhaust; #5 inlet; #7 inlet; #2 both; #4 exhaust; #6 none; #8 both...Then turn crank one full turn and adj #1 none; #3 both*; #5 both*; #7 exhaust; #2 exhaust*; #4 inlet; #6 both; #8 inlet*.

Here's the list I use.
    At TDC with #1 on the compression stroke adjust Intakes: 1-2-5-7 and Exhausts: 1-3-4-8

With pointer at 0 and #6 on compression stroke adjust Intakes: 3-4-6-8 and Exhausts: 2-5-6-7

Its common for small block Ch*vys as well. If you go to any Ch*vy site you will find the same info.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Quick Answer, from my AMA Tuneup card:

.025-.027 cold intake and exhaust

Remember there's a set of procedures and a sequence to go through, to adjust the valves properly .
      1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Make sure you've torqued the cylinder heads for the last time before adjusting the valves, Matthew. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

Comment

Matt, Just don't buy into any hype about adjusting hot and running or warmed up or any other rubbish. Use the listed valves above with #1 at TDC on the compression stroke, then #6 at TDC on the compression stroke to do the other listed valves. I've been using this method for decades and have never hurt my engines in the slightest. Also, drive hard and don't baby your engine too much. These cars love to drive. BTW, I've used this method on stock and modified engines with the same good results. One of them had the heads cut .125 inches, with Chevy valves installed, rocker stands cut 1/4 inch and shortened push rods, and flat top pistons. This one was a great running ride. 40 years and never a valve failure.
            sals54

Comment

For what it's worth...

I use the TDC method. Bring each cylinder up to TDC and adjust that cylinder.
              I also do it cold, in at least 5 hours cold from the last time the engine was run.

Or the 1 and 6 method.
              Or the exhaust open, set intake - intake closing, set exhaust (this is the most prefered racer method).

Mike

Comment

Working...
              X