Vin#

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vin#

Where can I find the VIN# on my 1950 Land Cruiser? CA DMV won't let me register until I find it. Thanks guys!

Originally posted by rolinirnmcr3 View Post
    Where can I find the VIN# on my 1950 Land Cruiser? CA DMV won't let me register until I find it. Thanks guys!
    On 1950 cars it is located on the drivers door post. Open the drivers door and it will be right there on your right as you enter the car on the car, not the door.

Mark

Comment

Thanks, Mark!
      Marc

Comment

Studebaker did not have a VIN number in 1950. Some were titled/registered using the serial number which is as posted and many states used the engine number for identification purposes in that era.
        If you have a number that you are trying to match, check both numbers. If you hve a number, post it here and we will tell you if it is a S/N or engine no.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

WELCOME ...Marc ...to the SDC Forum!!!

After you get all the paperwork done, how about sharing with us some info about you, your new ride and possibly a pic. or two of it.

Comment

California requires TWO numbers be seen.
            The one on the door post plus the one at the rear crossmember.
            Lay on the ground, head under the car feet sticking out to the rear on the right side.[passenger]
            You may have to remove the pan under the rear bumper to see it.
            Light sanding will help to see it, if it hasn't rusted off. The factory didn't stamp the numbers in very deep.
            It's on the flange of the crossmember.
            South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

I checked the door post and looked for a number on the engine, found nothing except a casting # on the head. Will check rear cross member next.
              The vin # on the old title is H422939.

Comment

The number you posted is the engine serial number. Many states used the engine number for title purposes in those years. Look for a 1/2" X 2" smooth pad at the top, front, left side of engine block and see if the number is the same. You may want to clean the pad off real well and make a pencil 'rubbing' of the engine number.
                The car serial number plate should be located down low on the door lock post , just a few inches above the sill plate. Probably a seven digit number beginning with a '4'. The rear serial number is hard or impossible to find on many cars. If this is a CA car, you stand a better than average chance of finding it.
                Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

If you are close to Sacramento, ca, I do have what your are looking for with pink. Let me know.

Comment

Working...
                  X