Is it good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it good?

At 60 mph my oil pressure is about 50lbs.......is this better than average? (R1)

Yes! What is the pressure at hot idle?
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

My '63 289, non R1 holds 55 to 60 lbs at 60 mph hot. idles near 15. Based upon sludge build up in the valley, i do not believe this engine has been rebuilt. I've been told this is normal for the late model (full flow) engines.

Comment

me stupid.........forgot to look.......what is a good hot idle number?

Comment

The Avanti owners manual says "Normal oil pressure is between 45 and 60 lbs. at approximately 2000 rpm depending on the temperature of the oil and its viscosity".
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Werdegast View Post
            me stupid.........forgot to look.......what is a good hot idle number?
            All of my late '62 to '64 full flow V-8's, 15 or 20 of them, have all had warm idle Oil Pressure of 35 to 40 Psi except when one '63 lost a Cam Bearing.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Ok checked the car today..........with car hot and at a 650 RPM idle.......the pressure is exactly 20 pounds.....can I assume this is an acceptable number for an engine in good shape?

Comment

You are fine.....
                Make sure to regularly service your pressure relief valve.
                Change your oil and filter regularly.
                Drive it a lot.
                Have fun.
                Jeff

Originally posted by Werdegast View Post
                Ok checked the car today..........with car hot and at a 650 RPM idle.......the pressure is exactly 20 pounds.....can I assume this is an acceptable number for an engine in good shape?
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I'm gonna say that is acceptable,a stude vendor recently told me that 25 pounds is not a problem at hot idle! I think Rich may be one of the luckier ones?
                  Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                    I'm gonna say that is acceptable,a stude vendor recently told me that 25 pounds is not a problem at hot idle! I think Rich may be one of the luckier ones?
                    Problem???...Problem!!!...I think he's bragg'n!
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Oil idiot lights don't come on until you're well below 10psi. Be happy you have that pressure and even happier you have a gauge.
                      Brad Johnson,
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I change oil two times per yr......no matter the milage. the valve was cleaned ten yrs ago.
                        Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                        You are fine.....
                        Make sure to regularly service your pressure relief valve.
                        Change your oil and filter regularly.
                        Drive it a lot.
                        Have fun.
                        Jeff

Comment

I do utilize 20W50 oil.
                          Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                          Oil idiot lights don't come on until you're well below 10psi. Be happy you have that pressure and even happier you have a gauge.

Comment

I dont believe 20w50 will give you the right protection, that oil is designed for high
                            revving 4 cyl multi-valve / multi-cam engines. I think 10w30 is correct. You may
                            be keeping too much oil in the valve covers and not at the crank where its needed.
                            10w30 should bring your idle pressure to normal, and lower your higher rpm also.

Tom
                            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I use Rotella T 15-40. Still have a few gallons of the old stuff left so haven't yet invested in ZDDP.
                              Brad Johnson,
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                              X