'55 Sedan sway bar in a '57 2 door President

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '55 Sedan sway bar in a '57 2 door President

I installed the rebuilt Dana 44 (3.73 and TT) into the '57 President 2 door I have. I removed a stabilizer bar from a '55 President State parts car for use in the '57. When I removed the bar it snaked out with minimal fuss. For the life of me the bar will not snake back in the '57. The reproduction shop manual is useless. The picture is very dark and not usuable. The '57 does have dual exhaust, where as the '55 did not.
    Anyone have any better pictures?
    Any ideas on what to do?
    There also seem to be no mounting plates on the '57 for the upper bar holders. Where do those mount?
    Thanks, KM

The Two bushing holder brackets you took off of the frame of the '55 should bolt right on the frame of the '57 on the rear axle up-slope part of the frame forward of the axle there are two bolt holes on each side.

Supporting the frame of the car at the forward spring perch should drop the axle enough to snake the bar in, if not, it will have to be done on a hoist.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Kelly, here are some pics of the swaybar on my '54 sedan, not the best but all I have right now. Hopefully they will help some. Also, if you jack up the car and put your jackstands under the frame so the rear axle 'hangs' down, it might give you more room to get the bar in.

Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Perfect

The pictures were great. I was looking at things wrong. After wiggling around and jacking up the back end everything is in and buttoned up.

Thank you

Comment

Working...
        X