No announcement yet.

Need fin strip for my 57 hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have one of the classic enterprise strips. I needed only one on my car. They can be a pain as you have to stretch the metal to make them fit. The strips are sold in sets by classic at 175.00 per set . The bolts and nuts are 35.00
    Terry
    Last edited by leyrret; 10-11-2010, 03:47 AM.

Comment

practical question; is there anything I can do ahead of time, like soaking it good with WD-40 or something, that will make them easier to remove? Are they typically stuck down with any adhesive or something beyond 50years of sitting in intimate contact with the sheetmetal that makes removal difficult?

Comment

No adhesive, but tiny fine thread T-bolts and nuts- definitely soak them in PB blaster and just be careful lifting it off, make sure all the bolts are loose- you don't want to kink it
        Gallivan
        57 Golden Hawk
        Golden, CO

Comment

(nice rotisserie....)
          Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 10-11-2010, 03:29 PM.
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

On the Ray Lin site he's welding on the fins.. What happens when you need to replace the panels. Wouldn't that destroy them? As for the strips I have them as I bought them a couple years ago. Now that we are trying to make them work I called Classic Enterprises, he tells me to heat them up and no problem.. Well that's not what people are saying here.. We'll give it a whorl though!! Maybe just the right heat will work.

Comment

Building on the question of welding the fins on: Are people doing this frequently? Why?

Comment

There are a few finned Hawks out there with nice smooth transition lines from the fin to the fender, this would illiminate those pesky unsightly inside of the the fin metal "T" strips and their water trap rust.

One similar situation that comes to mind is a beautiful '58 Champion 2 Door Sedan (or a Scotsman with added fins) that was street rodded and both sides of the fins are all blended in and it really looks cool. Of course it has no stainless body side trim mouldings at all.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

No fin strips on mine. I used Ray-Lin method. I think it looks much better.

Joe D.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IM002184 (640x480) (640x480).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	1678574

Comment

Originally posted by HammondA100 View Post
                    On the Ray Lin site he's welding on the fins.. What happens when you need to replace the panels. Wouldn't that destroy them? As for the strips I have them as I bought them a couple years ago. Now that we are trying to make them work I called Classic Enterprises, he tells me to heat them up and no problem.. Well that's not what people are saying here.. We'll give it a whorl though!! Maybe just the right heat will work.
                    I have installed two different sets on two different 56Js, and do not recall a problem. I do recall however, if you look closely, there is an inboard side and an outboard side. Be sure to look at one of the old ones closely and you'll see what I mean.

Comment

I meant to say two sets of Classic Enterprises'

Comment

Originally posted by HammondA100 View Post
                        Hammond, have you tried the "heat" method yet and if so how did it work out? I am putting some of the classic made ones on the 58PH as the owner wants the original type put on.
                        64 Champ long bed V8
                        55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                        53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

I did not have to heat them. I know 56J strips do not have to bend as much as 57-61 Hawks, but it is really just soft metal, and bends easily without kinking. I just bent it gradually, i.e. used the side of a 55 gallon drum.

Comment

On the 1958 Packard Hawks the fin strips are the shortest.
                            My friend used the station wagon side moldings.
                            These are the same shape as the originals but have a side slot for the "T" bolts that has to be dealt with.
                            Can not find a difference from the originals.
                            I may have some of these left.
                            Robert Kapteyn
                            815 722 7262
                            Joliet IL.

Comment

fin molding

Originally posted by 1960Hawk View Post
                              I have used a flexible plastic moulding with a chrome finish and sticky back
                              if applied well it looks ok
                              I saw some pics on utube I believe and a guy used them. I tried it also and they work great. I think it is the best and cheapest way go. Don.
                              sigpic
                              58 Golden Hawk
                              DSamborski
                              Pillager, MN

Comment

Valleyguy - I like your paint color. I guess great minds think alike.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X