What are the Differences between a 259 and a 280 V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the Differences between a 259 and a 280 V8

I am considering rebuilding my Larks 259 engine. I would like to make the 259 a 289 v8 using the original block and buying a new 289 crank.

Is the only difference the crank? Or did Studebaker use shorter rods to compensate for more upper end power?

Allen
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

You have to change the crank AND the pistons, everything else fits.
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Is the only difference the crank? Or did Studebaker use shorter rods to compensate for more upper end power?
      Interesting comment. Maybe this was just written wrong, but shorten rods for "upper end power" ?

The long rods in the Stude engine actually help the engine breath in light of the crummy intake ports.

And yea, as noted, crank and pistons are the cubic inch adder difference.

Mike

Comment

Or did Studebaker use shorter rods to compensate for more upper end power?
        Random thoughts on this:

1. "Studebaker" and "upper end power" may not be used in the same sentence without "the lack of" also being included. As Mike said below, the intake ports and valves are just too small to produce real high end horsepower.

2. I've seen some reliable tests reported and the upper end horsepower difference between short and long connecting rods is miniscule, certainly in the single digits. The intake, heads and camshaft determine the real upper end horsepower. Once those are optimized, long rods make slightly more top end horsepower and short rods make slightly more low end torque. Rod length is absolutely the last thing a hot rodder should worry about. One of the top SBC engine builders was asked what length connecting rods to use. He said, "Long enough to connect the piston to the crankshaft."

3. As Stude V8 engineers determined in '57-58 and '63-64, the only path to more top end horsepower is a supercharger. On an otherwise almost identical engine, the supercharged R2 makes 50+ more horsepower than a normally aspirated R1. (With good fuel, the R1s 10.25 C.R. gives slightly more low end torque than does the 9.0 R2.)

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Working...
        X