Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supercharger rebuild components- where to begin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supercharger rebuild components- where to begin?

I just purchased a '57 Golden Hawk (don't even have the car yet.... waiting for the trucking to be arranged) and the supercharger has been removed and is in pieces. Wondering if all the parts (primarily bearings and sleeves I would guess??) are available? I recall seeing an ad for rebuilding (Lionel Stone I believe, if he still does it?) and I see a NOS one on ebay for $1000 this week, but I'd enjoy rebuilding it myself with my son, which is the purpose of getting the car in the first place. I found the .pdf files from McCullock on a website, plus purchased the factory shop manual, so primarily wondering about sources for supercharger rebuild kits or components. Thanks!

Lionel has retired. I would check with John Erb, Supercharger contributor to The Studebaker Co-operator column in TURNING WHEELS.
    His contact information is on every masthead of The Studebaker Co-operator column.
    Last edited by rockne10; 09-18-2010, 04:24 PM.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Another great source for parts or a rebuilt supercharger is Jon Myer at Myer Studebaker in Ohio.

myersstudebaker.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, myersstudebaker.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
      sigpic
      John
      63R-2386
      Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker in Fairborn, Ohio can supply you with the components. Also does an excellent job of rebuilding them if you so desire.
        sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Comment

Bear in mind there are some specialized tools required to rebuild this type of supercharger.
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by bsrosell View Post
            I just purchased a '57 Golden Hawk (don't even have the car yet.... waiting for the trucking to be arranged) and the supercharger has been removed and is in pieces. Wondering if all the parts (primarily bearings and sleeves I would guess??) are available? I recall seeing an ad for rebuilding (Lionel Stone I believe, if he still does it?) and I see a NOS one on ebay for $1000 this week, but I'd enjoy rebuilding it myself with my son, which is the purpose of getting the car in the first place. I found the .pdf files from McCullock on a website, plus purchased the factory shop manual, so primarily wondering about sources for supercharger rebuild kits or components. Thanks!
            Welcome ...to the SDC Forum!!! Appears you already have gathered support on here and provided with some good info you'll need.

Hope you'll share some pics. with us after your new '57 GH arrives!!!

Comment

thanks!

thanks guys. Good contacts. I'll get in touch with these guys after we get the car and see what the pieces really look like.

Comment

Working...
              X