DG 200 Transmission Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DG 200 Transmission Help?

I took Irene out for a test drive yesterday, got up to speed got on it pretty hard and reach sixty, then I let off and tried to get it to change into third and it never did. Is it possible the kick down linkage needs to be adjusted , that it might not be allowing the transimssion to change because of the kickdown. I do not know I am at a lost and just lookign for some good guidance. This is in my 1954 Commander Coupe.
    Domenic Manera, Fire Chief
    City of York Fire Department
    York, SC 29745
    1954 Regal Starlight Coupe

I think that you may be looking for something that isn't there. The transmission is a three speed that normally starts in second. You will only get one shift - to third and you should have been there long before 60. Your transmission also has a lock-up torque convertor. You will not know when this locks up. It does not change the gear ratio, like an overdrive does.

Maybe I am missing something. Are you sure that you are in second and not third at 60 mph? Maybe you mean that you were in third and kicked down to second, but were unable to get back into third. Or, do you mean that you never reached third in the first place? I guess that your situation is just not clear enough to me. Sorry, now I am confusing the situation.

You state that your car is a Regal Starlight, but not if it is a Champion (6) or Commander (V8).
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary, sorry for the confusion, it appears that the car starts out in second gear and never changes, it is a commander with the v8 232.
      York, SC 29745

Comment

Originally posted by studehunter View Post
        I took Irene out for a test drive yesterday, got up to speed got on it pretty hard and reach sixty, then I let off and tried to get it to change into third and it never did. Is it possible the kick down linkage needs to be adjusted , that it might not be allowing the transimssion to change because of the kickdown. I do not know I am at a lost and just lookign for some good guidance. This is in my 1954 Commander Coupe.
        Kind of sounds like a throttle linkage adjustment problem. I don't know how many cars had them, but my '53 Commander has a knob under the dash that, when pulled out, locks out third gear. If by some remote chance you have one of them, it would certainly keep the tranny from shifting. However, I'm sure this was an aftermarket item (though it has a Loma Gray knob). It was intended for mountain driving- no need to down shift going up and a safer lower gear for going down.
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Paul if you say so I'll believe you! But that is just a STRANGE accessory, no wonder you had about the only one in captivity! It certainly does not sound like something Studebaker would sell because they know all you have to do is select L (Low range) after the shift up point to achieve the same thing, that is until you drop down below about 28 MPH and it screeches into Low gear!

I always just shifted back to Drive before that happens on both my ONE '54 Land Cruiser with Studebaker Automatic, and dozens of Flight-O-Matics.

Domenic; are the three bands all properly adjusted?
          Last edited by StudeRich; 06-21-2010, 02:55 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Humbers (the English car, Super Snipe etc 58-6?) among others used the same DG transmission as somewhat earlier Studebakers, and ISTR that it is a DG200, not a DG250, and they HAD a 3rd gear lockout knob. In their version, used with a straight 6, it was a first gear start. What was pointed out at the time was that left to its own set points, you couldn't hold second via kickdown long enough to be really usefully for accelerating onto a freeway. This is where the lockout came in, so that you could hold second to 55 or so, instead of 40. Also handy for mountains. So, IF there is a similar type of control on Dominic's car, like Paul's car, and it is "on" then in Studebaker V8 terms, it would start as usual in second gear and stay there. Just a thought, before digging into throttle adjustments and bands. Also, is first gear available at all, using Low?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B PEI View Post
              /Cut/ Also, is first gear available at all, using Low?
              Did you read the post right above yours or not?
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                Paul if you say so I'll believe you! But that is just a STRANGE accessory, no wonder you had about the only one in captivity! It certainly does not sound like something Studebaker would sell because they know all you have to do is select L (Low range) after the shift up point to achieve the same thing, that is until you drop down below about 28 MPH and it screeches into Low gear!

I always just shifted back to Drive before that happens on both my ONE '54 Land Cruiser with Studebaker Automatic, and dozens of Flight-O-Matics.

Domenic; are the three bands all properly adjusted?
                I did the higher speed shift in to Low with the screech when in dropped in to Low ONCE!. From then on I either didn't use Low or I did like you did- return it to Drive before it could slam me against the steering wheel.
                Here is a poor picture of the lockout knob (just left of the Heat control). Pulling it out apparently holds the throttle linkage in the kick-down position.
                Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I did not do the work on the transmission I had it gone through at a transmission shop, so I can not confirm anything about the bands, also low gear does seem to be operational. I am just not shure where to start on the trouble shooting. Like I said at 60 mph it did not change. What speed should it change from 2nd to 3rd? Thanks to all of you for your comments. Hopefully we can get it figure out. It appears to me that for fuel economy that it whould change into 3rd much sooner, but hey what do I know?????
                  York, SC 29745

Comment

I may be wrong (and I am certain that if I am there will be no shortage of people willing to point it out), but I think your post is pointing out a problem we have among our forum group and perhaps the entire knowledge base of the SDC. I have very little mechanical experience with automatic transmissions. I have removed and installed them, but never taken one apart. I am really terrified that I would do more harm than good. That is the reason I put up with the leaks and quirks. I just drove my '51 land cruiser to vote today and all I know is that when I put it in "drive" it moves forward. If I put it in "low" it moves forward a little faster. When I take off in drive, it smoothly eases off and within a few yards smoothly shifts into high as it "eases" away like the senior citizen it (and me) has become. When I was about 7 years old, my mother caught me after I had just dismantled her "Big Bend" alarm clock. After a spanking and good talking to, she made me put it back together and it continued to work until I graduated from high school. I sold, designed, and installed pneumatic circuits, hydraulic circuits, cylinders, and pumps but still have never tackled an automatic transmission. We need to find, recruit and encourage a few good souls to help us help others in this area.

Having said that, I also think that those who do not visit the forum often or take part at all...have a misunderstanding of what the forum is all about. I recently heard a long time member of the SDC complain that when he asked a question on the "Forum" about an automatic transmission...the only feedback he got was to take it to a transmission shop. I believe that some people think that the forum is an "On-Line Co-Operator" like the column in "Turning Wheels" consisting exclusively of "Experts!" If that were the case, I would be the first person kicked out! Perhaps we need to do a better job explaining what we are all about. I kinda think of the forum as a "perpetual virtual camp fire discussion" or as in days gone by..."The 'ol front porch bull session." Lots of good information, lots of bull crap, a little sniping, and loads of fun.

Sorry about the "Soap Box" Domenic, but I have thought about this and couldn't help myself. Hang in there and hopefully someone will help out.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

No problem John, I am glad I am getting responses from different folks. I hope to drive over in Irene and see you soon. Also, what ever came about the wagons?
                      York, SC 29745

Comment

Regarding the wagons, I wrote a little missive in an e mail to the museum and never heard back. I just assumed that they must get these type of reports often and were not interested. I think it would be good if you could arrange to have one pulled out and displayed with our Studebakers at the "Summer Fest." I still would like to know more about the wagons, where they came from and their relationship to the old cotton gin stored with them. I wonder if anyone associated with the local museum have the history?

What became of the "cutting off" problem you had with Irene you posted a while back?
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

It was a very simple thing that I caused, the new gasket I installed in the gas cap was to thick, the tank could not vent properly. It is running alot better now, just got to get the transimssion issue worked out.
                          York, SC 29745

Comment

Paul - Not related to this thread, but what does that switch TAPED to the steering column control?

I have never seen the described lockout on a 1953 Studebaker and I have owned several and worked on many more.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I have worked on these transmissions in both Studebakers and Jaguars, but from the description, I would only be throwing guesses at the problem/solution. I think that you need to have someone experienced with these transmissions look at the car. These transmissions were used in cars other than Studebaker and at more recent times. Of course, this should be after the obvious things like all adjustments are to the (automatic) shop manual specifications and proper fluid to the correct level. Filing this transmission and checking its level is not like in a modern car.
                              I assume that the transmission was working. What was done between that point and now?
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X