Resistor wire & balast resistor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resistor wire & balast resistor

My 63 GT now has pertronix ignition & a Delco distributor,it's not burning all the fuel like the spark is weak & I hear a pop-pop in the exhaust system.I left on the pink resistor wire.A knowlegable hot rodder told me to remove the resistor wire as it is not needed with pertronix & actually impedes it's operation power-wise.Is this true & does it also apply to balast resistor equipt cars.
    This thing is a pig on fuel & I'me looking at everything to get decent milage.Anybody else tried this? Input appreciated

The resistor won't cause your engine to miss. Pertronix says that you can remove the ballast resistor if you use one of their coils. I don't buy that as I've had a 57 T Bird and a Studebaker towed in in recent history because the coil had overheated and failed. I checked the Pertronix ignition in my 62 Hawk with and without the resistor and the output voltage from the coil was only about 5 kilo volts higher without the resistor rather than with it. I don't believe that a stock or fairly stock Stude engine knows the difference. Be sure to check the gap between the reluctor under the cap and the Pertronix unit as too wide of a gap can cause misfiring. Bud

Comment

When I installed the Pertronix unit and Flamethrower coil in my Lark I ended up running a new wire and eliminating the resistor wire. Everytime the weather would be hot the car ran lousy. I found the voltage was getting lower when the weather got hotter like in the high 80's. Worked for me and have had no problems since.
      59 Lark Regal 2Dr Hardtop
      51 Champion 2Dr Sedan
      27 Ford Roadster
      Harleys, Mustangs and other Goodies

Comment

I installed a Mallory/Uni-lite distributor from Dave Thiebault , in-line ballast resistor ,new modern coil & good wires in my 63 GT.I'm gapping my plugs at .045 & getting 20mpg average city/hwy but I drive it often with lots of hwy runs.

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
          ... I checked the Pertronix ignition in my 62 Hawk with and without the resistor and the output voltage from the coil was only about 5 kilo volts higher without the resistor rather than with it...
          not to be rude, Bud, but people may be misled - I think you have used the wrong quantitative prefix on your voltage. KILO means THOUSANDS, milli means THOUSANDTHS ...

5 volts
          5 kilovolts = 5,000 volts
          5 millivolts = .005 volts

with 5 kilovolts, you might need a fence around the car and "Warning - High Voltage" signs (just kidding)!

--george
          1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

You're right, I should have said 5,000 volts higher coil output without the resistor and I did mean kilo volts as kilo means thousand. I have an engine analyzer and I checked the coil output with the scope. Bud

Comment

Working...
            X