Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

55 truck trans to 64 truck interchange ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55 truck trans to 64 truck interchange ??

I have located and agreed to purchase a good 4 speed truck trans from another forum member to replace the failing unit in my 64 T-cab. The trans I have located is from a 55 Stude truck and has the drum parking brake attached to the trans. I have not looked at one of these transmissions in many years and dont remember how everything set up for that brake rig. Has anyone here done this swap successfully before? Is it a simple swap, as in everything clears etc..? Will my driveshaft work or will I have to cut one to do this swap? Any other issues I need to be concerned with? Thanks, Steve
    sigpic

To be sure what you are doing, it is as simple as letting your fingers do the walking, through the Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalogs, that is!

You will see the driveshaft part # and LENGTH listed for each truck in the two different year Catalogs, (cheaper on CD) all you have to do is COMPARE!

If you don't mind having a clumsy Parking Brake lever coming out of your Trans. tunnel, a Band Brake is a good thing! On the other hand you can just REMOVE it!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Rich. My manual (cd) is still with the trans shop that was hoping to build one from the two I have. He was getting me the part numbers for the brass he wanted to replace and printing a bunch of stuff he needed personally. We have determined the transmissions I have are a T-98 and a T-98A. The T-98 was stuck in gear and needs a case, mainshaft and at least 1 gear, the T-98A is burned up due to improper lubricants but we have not broken it down yet. Of course the good parts in one wont work in the other. If everything bolts up and fits I have an extra driveshaft and tunnel cover I can cut to make work. And since I have no parking brake now anything there is an improvement. Thanks again, Steve
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X