This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Much is a Core Engine Worth?

How much is a core full flow 289 worth with acessories (2bbl carb) that was running when pulled?

Thanks

I'll give you $25 for it...[)]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
    Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
    LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Where are you located?

Darryl C. Lewallen
      Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

Comment

I think this is a serious question, deserving of a serious answer. If an engine block is worth only $25 because thats all someone will pay for it at present, my sense is that there will be many motors scrapped because the metal is worth $50. Then, we will have a problem as a car club.

I am currently pondering the future of several motors, and frankly, at $25, it just isn't worth any time or effort in keeping them.

If this were ANY other motor, blocks would be worth at least $500.

We have been extremely lucky that prices haven't shot up like other makes, but scrapping is the beginning of a slippery slope, leading to mega prices and unavailable parts.

If only some members of our clubs weren't so darn CHEAP, and haggle the last cent of profit from a deal. (You know who you are!)

Paul R

Comment

Where where where?!!!!
          Scrap value, with the exception of the camshaft, crankshaft, and misc parts. Someone comes and picks them up? Future favors, or a few bucks each. You deliver? Few more bucks and gas and travel money.
          You take the effort to part out, clean, identify, list on Ebay? Probably a hundred bucks each..or more.
          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 54-61-62

How much is a core full flow 289 worth with acessories (2bbl carb) that was running when pulled?

Thanks
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 55s

I think this is a serious question, deserving of a serious answer. If an engine block is worth only $25 because thats all someone will pay for it at present, my sense is that there will be many motors scrapped because the metal is worth $50. Then, we will have a problem as a car club.

I am currently pondering the future of several motors, and frankly, at $25, it just isn't worth any time or effort in keeping them.

We have been extremely lucky that prices haven't shot up like other makes, but scrapping is the beginning of a slippery slope, leading to mega prices and unavailable parts.

If only some members of our clubs weren't so darn CHEAP, and haggle the last cent of profit from a deal. (You know who you are!)

Paul R
            Paul, it was a 50/50 answer. Yes, I was a bit tongue-in-cheek with my answer, but as Jeff mentioned, the world, with the exception of the Studebaker world, isn't jumping on these left and right.

While the engine may have run when the engine was pulled, this is no guarantee that there's nothing wrong with it. Would it be worth more than $25 to me? Yes. Would I pay $500 for it? No. If it's a reasonable drive from the Southeast, I might even be interested. I'd like what he has if the price is right.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
            Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
            LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
            Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Two years ago I paid $250 for a good engine core that I drove an hour to get. Recently the same guy sold a complete engine (carburator and all the manifolds and brackets) for I think $400. I've found that one of the important things with storing engines is to keep them upright. As time goes by the head gaskets will corrode through which allows water into the cylinders if they are laying on their side. Keep them upright please. My block had to be bored .060 over and it still didn't quite get all the rust out of one cylinder and it was a 'good running engine' when it was taken out of the car.

Tim K.
              '64 R2 GT Hawk
              Tim K.
              \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 55s

Paul R

I don't think I could get $50 for a scrap engine where I am, but prices can vary I guess. I would think a 289 would be 500 pounds or so. Are there really local scrap dealers buying at $200/ton?

If YOU are buying any and all non Studebaker blocks at $500 (or even half that), let me know where you are and I'm on the way . I personally know of no V8 blocks worth that much...except very rare ones like maybe a 60's hemi.

With the exception of correct date coded Corvette blocks and some 4 bolt main 350 blocks, $50-75 for a rebuildable core is the going price for a SBC around here...same with most other common V8's. Studes bring the same or less and you'd probably have a tougher time finding a buyer for the Stude than a Chevy.

It's a supply and demand thing...and nothing more.

I just bought a Champion 6 for $10. That's what the seller wanted for it (for over a year). I have no need for it, but it was just to cute and too cheap to pass up.[8D]

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

I gave $40 for a 185 Champ that was said to run along with two boxes of parts at York. Though I have no immediate need for it, it was too good a deal to pass up.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
                  1948 M-16 grain truck
                  1949 2R16A grain truck
                  1949 2R17A fire truck
                  1955 E-38 grain truck
                  1957 3E-40 flatbed
                  1961 6E-28 grain truck
                  1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
                  1962 Champ pickup
                  1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
                  1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
                  1964 Cruiser
                  And various other "treasures"

Comment

We had a guy bring us a good(?) running and totally complete 170 OHV six with two 3 speed, non OD trannies with it for free. He was driving the car when he pulled it to install a Che*y 350. The car is a very rusty 64 Challenger two door.

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut.
                    South Georgia Chapter Newsletter Editor
                    63 Daytona HT (project)
                    51 2R16 dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
                    52 Commander Starliner (basket case)(will trade for another Stude <g&gt
                    MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars.
                    Click my name and check out "Links".

Comment

I went to a shop liquidation sale today. Man, what a place for a "junkie" like me![] Mr. Rice would have gone nuts there! Old, OLD machine shop business where the old fella (who's now departed) did damned near EVERYTHING himself. Gawd! The old lathes, milling machines, balancers, etc., etc., etc., on and on..... and boxes and BOXES of tooling and whatnot to go with it all.
                      But what was more astonishing was the fella liquidating it all was selling it for a tiny fraction of what simple scrap value would be!
                      I turned down a pallet-load of various bar stock stuff for 10 bucks. I spent 50 on tools and stuff and had to literally MAKE myself leave before I did something stupid (again)! BTW, there wasn't a "made in China" pabel in the whole place.

A core full-flow V8? Unknown condition - gotta be worth a hundred bucks - at least. [:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President 2-dr
                      1955 President State
                      1951 Champion Biz cpe
                      1963 Daytona project FS
                      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I'll pay $250 all day long for complete, guaranteed good core 1963-64 289" full-flow 4-bbl engines. Bring 'em to Spokane - the line forms to the right.

The way it usually goes, somebody calls and swears it is out of a '63 Hawk. I drive a long way to pick it up and it is so covered with crud it is a major task to find the serial number. Turns out to be a 2bbl early 259" missing all the accessories.

Another guy has a core 289" engine - if it isn't in a car, there was usually a reason - pull the pan, one pair of rod journals are black. A 289" crank is worth checking, but of course, but after I pull it and magnaflux, it is cracked.

Bottom line, there aren't that many good core 289" full-flow engines out there. If you have one for sale, e-mail me.

PackardV8
                        PackardV8

Comment

I get at least $400 or more for a carb to pan 289 full flow. More like $1000 if it's a real nice motor and AT.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
                          Studebaker News Group

64 Daytona HT
                          64 Daytona Convert.
                          64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                          63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                          63 R1 GT Hawk
                          63 Avanti R1/AC
                          63 Avanti R2/4 speed
                          62 Daytona HT
                          62 Lark 2 door
                          60 Hawk
                          JDP Maryland

Comment

On the way home from the National ATHS show in Baltimore I stopped in Northern Va. and picked up a free 170 OHV engine and FOM transmission that still had all the front end assembly under it. Was only missing the carb, but turns out the motor is stuck. Had to stop for food anyway, why not get a free motor?

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
                            1948 M-16 grain truck
                            1949 2R16A grain truck
                            1949 2R17A fire truck
                            1955 E-38 grain truck
                            1957 3E-40 flatbed
                            1961 6E-28 grain truck
                            1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
                            1962 Champ pickup
                            1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
                            1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
                            1964 Cruiser
                            And various other "treasures"

Comment

Theres not any stude v-8s around here that i know of.But i got a 67 327 300 hp complete engine minus carb on a engine stand i been offered 400 dollars for .I turned it down. Was that where two fools met? It was a running engine i pulled from a barn find 67 pickup with 23,000 miles.The boy that owned the truck wanted a chromed out crate 350 instead.So iknocked off 200 bux n keep the motor.

Comment

Working...
                              X