This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OD Won't Disengage

Hey y'all. I'm reposting this from the "56 Champion OD..." thread, in hopes someone can give me some help with my OD. Here's the last post from that thread:

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs: Are you saying you CAN'T pull the OD handle out OR you CAN but it's still in OD???
    I cannot pull the OD handle out. It won't budge.

quote:It DOES disengage below 30MPH or so, right?
    Yes. From a driving standpoint, the OD works fine. I just cannot disengage it. Hopefully Mr. Biggs or someone else can pick this up and give me some advice.

Thanks folks!!!

Jim's pride....
    1963 Daytona Convertible

At a guess, the cable is rusted.

Crawl under the car - [jacks stands required] and disconnect the cable from it's support and the operating lever . While you're there verify that the lever moves. (If not, there's your problem, I'm no help)

Remobe the two screws under the dash holding that end of the cable and remove from the vehicle. Oil liberally and work it till it is free, and reinstall.

Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe
    '60 Lark VI
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Tom B

At a guess, the cable is rusted.

Crawl under the car - [jacks stands required] and disconnect the cable from it's support and the operating lever . While you're there verify that the lever moves. (If not, there's your problem, I'm no help)

Remobe the two screws under the dash holding that end of the cable and remove from the vehicle. Oil liberally and work it till it is free, and reinstall.

Tom Bredehoft
      '53 Commander Coupe
      '60 Lark VI
      '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
      All Indiana built cars
      Thanks Tom. I had my suspicions that rust might be the problem, but just haven't started trying to solve the problem yet. That is, of course, a logical place to start. I haven't been driving the car in a while (which I know is not good for any moveable parts) so it may well be the problem. I'll try it. Thanks.

Jim's pride....
      1963 Daytona Convertible

Comment

That would be my guess as well. Stuck cable. Spray it with PB Blaster - the length of it and flex the thing with your hands, every 6 inches or so to work in the penetrant. It ought to free up pretty quick. One thing I did with the Parking brake cable on my truck was to lube it good like this and then I used heat-shrink tubing to jacket the length of the whole thing. Keeps the water out - lube in and prevents chafing. Any commercial electrical supply place will have 3-foot lenghts of various sized shrink tubing at reasonable prices.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

PalmerGA, you live in west Georgia, right? Were having our next meeting in Sylvester, you should stop by. Get info here. BE THERE!!! www.georgiastudebaker.com

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut.
          South Georgia Chapter Newsletter Editor
          63 Daytona HT (project)
          51 Stude dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
          52 Commander Starliner (basket case)
          MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars.
          Click my name and check out "Links".

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

PalmerGA, you live in west Georgia, right? Were having our next meeting in Sylvester, you should stop by. Get info here. BE THERE!!! www.georgiastudebaker.com
            Thanks Matthew, but I've got pieces of Studebaker all over the place right now. I'll get to one of your meets though - promise. Keep me posted.

And thank you, Mr. Biggs.

Jim's pride....
            1963 Daytona Convertible

Comment

Nobody said that you HAVE to drive a Stude. I'd like to meet you face to face. Another 63 Daytona owner... [8D]

63 Daytona HT (project)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Nobody said that you HAVE to drive a Stude. I'd like to meet you face to face. Another 63 Daytona owner...
                It would be too painful to see others enjoying their Studes with mine at home in the garage waiting for me.

Jim's pride....
                1963 Daytona Convertible

Comment

Excuses excuses. Ok, so you're not coming. Sure wish you were though. Just so you know, NONE of my 3 Studes will be there[V]. IF we drive one (we 99% of the time do) it will probably be the 81 Avanti. It's the only dependable (if you can call it that; Chevy motor) car we have with AC. Other AC cars are the 63 Hawk (needs paint, interior, and brakes) and the 62 Cruiser (needs lotsa body work, paint, interior, but runs GREAT and the AC blows steam). So, really, we'd be in a car that's not REALLY a Stude. An Avanti II. Looks like a Stude though... We could drive the 57 SH, but no air and it's jet black with dark reddish/brown interior. [xx(]

63 Daytona HT (project)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

That would be my guess as well. Stuck cable. Spray it with PB Blaster - the length of it and flex the thing with your hands, every 6 inches or so to work in the penetrant. It ought to free up pretty quick. One thing I did with the Parking brake cable on my truck was to lube it good like this and then I used heat-shrink tubing to jacket the length of the whole thing. Keeps the water out - lube in and prevents chafing. Any commercial electrical supply place will have 3-foot lenghts of various sized shrink tubing at reasonable prices.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President 2-dr
                    1955 President State
                    1951 Champion Biz cpe
                    1963 Daytona project FS
                    To go off-topic a bit, I did the heat-shrink thing with clutch and brake cables on my Crosley. I didn't use PB Blaster, but I soaked and flexed them in my Varsol tank, and used a needle adaptor on my gease gun to get some grease in them. Made a huge fifference, and the finished cables look great with the heat shrink on them.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
                    X