This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generic Disk Brake Question

What is the reason that Turner and Steeltech (and SB96)have special Disk Brake kits for Studes? I would have thought you could get some Brembo or Baer (names seen in car mags) brakes and fit those?

Sorry if this is a basic question but I'm not a mechanic, maybe I can learn to be one from one of our members (here in Sth Oz).

Seemed to me that disk brakes, fuel injection and electronic ignition - perhaps also updating to the latest halogen headlights were things one should do to update your Stude - also a total rewiring?

Comments anyone???

John Clements
    Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!

Most hobbyists want to have a 'bolt on' type of kit (where no machining work or structural modifications are required), where it can be installed at home and they can put their stock wheels back on, preserving the Studebaker stock look, but improving their braking performance..
    The current 'Studebaker specific' suppliers build a kit(s) to do provide that. The performance aftermarket suppliers do not, as far as I know, build a 'bolt on kit'......yet.
    That being said, anything can be made to bolt on to anything with enough work, but getting the 'package' worked out for proper balance, braking effort, and fitment is the challenge.
    Hope the info helps.
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by avantilover

What is the reason that Turner and Steeltech (and SB96)have special Disk Brake kits for Studes? I would have thought you could get some Brembo or Baer (names seen in car mags) brakes and fit those?

Sorry if this is a basic question but I'm not a mechanic, maybe I can learn to be one from one of our members (here in Sth Oz).

Seemed to me that disk brakes, fuel injection and electronic ignition - perhaps also updating to the latest halogen headlights were things one should do to update your Stude - also a total rewiring?

Comments anyone???

John Clements
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Might I add that electronic ignition is readily available for Stude V8s and 6s. It's a GOOD thing. But Studes only have this because they used competitor's ignition hardware (distributors) for their own. The consequnce of this is that the aftermarket electronic ignition stuff that's been developed to serve Brand Xs, just happens to work in stock Stude distributors.
      This IS a good thing for a Stude. I've been running a Pretronix module in my Transtar and Lark for 3 or 4 year now. Nice hot spark every time. And the modules have been improved over time. There was a bit of a failure rate with them initially, but subsequent revisions have boosted the reliability way up![]

Fuel injection's never been developed specifically for the Stude. There's been some success in adapting it from brand X cars, but the complexity has kept this from being widely embraced in the Stude realm.[}]

Halogen headlites? Been using them on the Studes for years now.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Might I add that electronic ignition is readily available for Stude V8s and 6s. It's a GOOD thing. But Studes only have this because they used competitor's ignition hardware (distributors) for their own. The consequnce of this is that the aftermarket electronic ignition stuff that's been developed to serve Brand Xs, just happens to work in stock Stude distributors.
        This IS a good thing for a Stude. I've been running a Pretronix module in my Transtar and Lark for 3 or 4 year now. Nice hot spark every time. And the modules have been improved over time. There was a bit of a failure rate with them initially, but subsequent revisions have boosted the reliability way up![]

Fuel injection's never been developed specifically for the Stude. There's been some success in adapting it from brand X cars, but the complexity has kept this from being widely embraced in the Stude realm.[}]

Halogen headlites? Been using them on the Studes for years now.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        My Mistake, I meant the new Xenon headlights, the ones which look blue from a distance. Saw this on the classicresto website (classic restorations in NY State).

Thanks to both of you for the info.

John Clements
        John Clements
        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

If you want good headlights just get some good quality (like Cibie) H4 reflectors and feed them with a relay harness. Sure they won't look pretty and blue like the new HID lights, but they will WORK!

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          62 Daytona hardtop
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by avantilover

What is the reason that Turner and Steeltech (and SB96)have special Disk Brake kits for Studes?
            The reason for this is that Stude uses a different suspension then the
            other brands, which means that there isnt anything that will "bolt-on".

quote:I would have thought you could get some Brembo or Baer (names seen in car mags) brakes and fit those?
            You can fit those, but you need to mount the caliper, & fix the rotor
            to the hub. That leaves Ford and Chrysler to match the bolt pattern
            and just about any caliper that will grab the rotor you made fit. It
            isnt as easy as calling up Baer & ordering front discs for Stude.

quote:Sorry if this is a basic question but I'm not a mechanic, maybe I can learn to be one from one of our members (here in Sth Oz).
            No reason to be sorry, its a valid question.

quote:Seemed to me that disk brakes, fuel injection and electronic ignition - perhaps also updating to the latest halogen headlights were things one should do to update your Stude - also a total rewiring?
            Fuel injection would be a bit of work, but not impossible, a good carb
            will work pretty nicely though. F.I. is nice for the twistys, where
            a carb will tend to sloosh fuel around. F.I. is consistent also. The
            electronic ignition has been available for Stude for some time now, I
            have the one made my Dave Levesque, now known as Steeltech. It puts
            an HEI distributor into your Stude engine, one of the best factory
            ignitions made. Between good strong spark, and fairly simple design,
            the HEI is the cheapest/best upgrade you can make for a small block
            Chevy. It makes sense that it would also benefit a Stude. Headlights
            I have been looking into, and I found a few that interest me. Since I
            have an Avanti, which has an European look, I am tempted by the "Angel
            Eye" headlights that BMW uses. It just so happens, that there are a
            few manufacturers that offer a bulb in "our" size. Now this might be
            out of place on a Hawk or Lark. I have also seen the "blue" lights
            that you mention.

There are a LOT of options out there, you just have to find them, or
            make what you want fit.

Tom

"Tactful". Thats my new word, I will attempt to be "Tactful Tom" and
            not "Negative Tom".
            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
            X